Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: shearing cost  (Read 10026 times)

lokismum

• Joined Mar 2013
  • kent
shearing cost
« on: June 29, 2013, 12:42:37 am »
hi all :wave:
could you tell me how much you pay per alpaca for shearing please
and how easy or hard it was for you to find someone to do it
also do you pay more for a smaller number as sheep
we will get there
ONE DAY !!!!

bplegs

• Joined Aug 2010
Re: shearing cost
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 07:19:55 am »
We have four alpacas, it costs me £30 a animal for shearing.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 09:36:19 am »
We have four alpacas, it costs me £30 a animal for shearing.

Wow that sounds a lot to a non alpaca owner! Is that outweighed by the value of the fleece? Do they use normal sheep clippers?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 10:51:45 am »
My mum paid £80 for two!
I was horrified  :tired:

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 11:11:03 am »
Think I'm going to take up Alpaca shearing!!!   :thinking:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Moobli

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Scotland
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 05:24:54 pm »
Hubby clips ours with normal sheep clippers (or the Jakoti hand shears are good too) - and sits them up just like they are sheep  ;D

The cost will very much depend on how far the man has to travel to come and clip them.  You will be paying for his time and travel as much as anything.  If you speak to your local Auction Mart and ask for the name of a sheep shearer, they should be able to give you a price.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 01:21:38 pm »
I was a bit horrified that my daughter was going to pay 20.00 each to get hers sheared so imagine my face at 40.00 :o
I decided to hand shear for her as it seemed a lot more gentle than the hog tying and rolling around I watched on youtube. I found they are no stronger to handle than my Suffolk tup but an awful lot faster on their feet.
It would be interesting to know more about sitting them on their bums, I assumed they might kick too much if we tried that, so we tied him by his head collar to the stable walls and just tried to be patient with him dancing around.
Unlike sheep, alpacas seem to be able to kick out in any direction which is a bit worrying. How does he prevent this?
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 01:38:50 pm »
iv never kept alpacas but cant you shear whilst they are standing(like a horse) and hobble their back legs to stop them kicking?

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 02:06:43 pm »
My daughter held his front leg, the way you do with a horse, to stop him kicking with his back one, that was useful. He wasn't keen on having his lower legs touched so he was still earing leg warmers when I'd finished but I got a nice tidy clip with him just standing up.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 12:22:26 am »

We've just paid £75 for 2 alpacas and 3 sheep to be sheared. I don't know how that's broken down though.

Ours are put on the floor (or a bench/table) with their legs tied together in pairs and held tight. They have a towel over their eyes. One side is sheared and then they're flipped over and the other side is done. There would be absolutely no chance of sitting ours up like sheep! They've been completely clipped (legs and head etc) which isn't what all shearers do. We clipped their toes whilst they were tied up. It was a 3 person job on each one but they do look lovely now!

I've heard that normal sheep clippers don't always work, you can get special clipper heads for alpacas which have a guide on them which stops you clipping too close, they have very thin skin and would nick very easily.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS