Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tractor brakes...how to test?  (Read 2259 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Tractor brakes...how to test?
« on: July 15, 2013, 01:22:05 pm »
Hi all- I am new to tractor driving/owning (ca. 1week!) and beginning to think about the important things! How do I know my brakes are optimal or could be better? My MF135 has drum brakes and to be honest compared to a car brakes they are not very responsive when going down a hill and I only really feel comfortable in stopping it on the flat (I guess one needs to anticipate and ensure you are in a low gear which I am doing).
I am ensuring I am safe (anticipting well in advance) and will get it looked at by an engineer as I have a niggling doubt they should be better- but any thoughts of yours would again be very welcome.
cheers

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
Re: Tractor brakes...how to test?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 01:36:34 pm »
Drum brakes will never be that good, compared to oil immersed disks, but they should feel safe to use. if you have no service records for it, you may need to look at replacing the shoes or linings.

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 01:38:51 pm »
Best way is to get them checked out by someone qualified to do so, beware of the "I did my mates brakes brigade" I speak from experience as a long standing commercial vehicle engineer

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 01:53:57 pm »
totally agree with Markcott, if your not sure get a timeserved agri engineer to look at them these people are worth their weight in gold.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 10:47:35 pm »
I am not a professional mechanic, but have driven these tractors for many years. As a guide if travelling on Tarmac in top gear at say half throttle, you should be able to stand hard on the brakes and lock the back wheels.....ie skid.   If you can't they need attention.  Chances are one side will lock the other wont, in which case they need balancing.

As mentioned above get a professional to sort them if you don't know what you are doing,  new shoes aren't expensive, and fitting is straight forward..shouldn't take more than an hour per side.

Regards

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 10:53:08 pm »
...OK- thanks again! I definitely cannot skid and I'll be extra careful. From what you are saying they defo. need looking at...along with the oil leak! Oh well- time to spend some more money  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS