Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Holiday time!  (Read 2093 times)

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
Holiday time!
« on: July 27, 2009, 11:35:40 am »
Well just under 4 weeks to go until my family and I plus the dog will be heading north to Scotland. We are staying on the Carmichael estate in Biggar. Any advice regarding things I must see and do would be greatly appreciated. Also will we need midge protection in this area?
Karen

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Holiday time!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 11:47:55 am »
I was brought up in Biggar and midges were not a problem but you may need protection for the carmichael estate as they have trees or used to. Moffat is a nice town to visit, they have a large wollen mill shop worth seeing. Biggar used to be a market town but its all changed now but still a very pretty place to see. They have a musuem of old shop worth a visit and a couple of nice parks. You are not far from Edinburgh which at this time of year will be very busy. If you want to go further then the border towns are interesting, ie Kelso, Jedburgh. Lots of history. Whatever you decide I hope you have lovely weather and enjoy your holiday  :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 05:40:57 pm »
Hiya,
I'd pack some skin so soft just in case (I'm 20 miles from Biggar & we've got lots of midgies!)
New Lanark visitor centre is nice & has some beautiful walks round the falls of clyde, also wildlife centre there with falcons, otters etc.
Tinto hill is good for hill walking, as long as it's a nice day !!!
If it's thrills you're looking for M&D's themepark, just off the M74 at Hamilton is bound to fit the bill - it has indoor & outdoor rides, cafes and bars and Amazonia - indoor jungle type place, full of bugs, beasties snakes etc.
You're not too far from Glasgow at Biggar either - there's the Transport museum at Kelvingrove, Art Gallery and the Science centre is good for a day out with kids.
Edinburgh's worth a day trip too - see the castle & zoo?
Here's a link for lots more too !
http://www.visitlanarkshire.com/
Hope you have a great time - the weather's not been so good lately  :gloomy:, but given 4 weeks - who knows, maybe the sun'll come out  8)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 07:28:01 pm »
if your one for beaches two realy nice beaches to visit are Seaton Sand hoilday park beach (otherside of the road from hoilday caravan park)  can be a bit windy

Also a really lovely place is Portobella beach (spelling) near Edinburgh (i can't remember the parking charge but it wasn't expensive)

Linz
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 07:35:40 pm by Fluffywelshsheep »

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 09:11:16 pm »
As an add on to Happyhippy's post all the museums and art galleries in Glasgow are free entry with Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum the jewel in the crown.
JD 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS