Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Arrival  (Read 5093 times)

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
New Arrival
« on: August 17, 2009, 01:56:14 pm »
Last Night Our Dexter Rose gave birth to Sweet Pea. we found her this morning. she is beautiful. I still cant quite believe it she wasn't due till september. :cow:  ;D Click on link to see pictures

http://photobucket.com/harerunner?albumview=slideshow
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 01:59:56 pm by exmoorlady »

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: New Arrival
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 01:59:29 pm »
Gorgeous, nature at it's best  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 03:40:20 pm »
Is she normal size?  Was she really premature or were your dates wrong?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 09:27:08 pm »
I dont think she looks premature. When we bought Rose sha had just been scanned and the vet said she was due in september so maybe he got it wrong!!!

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 10:34:29 pm »
Fabulous Exmoorlady...great pictures...but I think the Vet got it wrong...she doesn't look premature. I have four due in March/April...can't wait...always a thrill...keep us posted on progress...oh and I love the name!

Farmer  ;D
 :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 11:07:58 pm »
I dont think she looks premature. When we bought Rose sha had just been scanned and the vet said she was due in september so maybe he got it wrong!!!
That's why I asked, she looked about right size wise to me.  What do these vets know anyway, about the same as doctors. we women know best. ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 10:40:59 am »
I hope its OK if I add our photos. :)

Say hello to Rodney.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 02:35:36 pm »
What gorgeous pics of lovely calves.

I really want another dexter cow. We had one a good few years ago as a house cow.  I was at a big show at weekend, and in the grand parade was a dexter with her calf.  I could not get over how small it was, no bigger than a dog.  The commentator said the handler could easily carry it if it could not walk all the way round the ring!!!

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 09:46:15 pm »
Lovely pictures of Rodney. Arn't they just so special.  :)

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 09:58:20 pm »
Can  anyone help us please. The breeder of Rose has said thatbshe should not be milked as this is her first calf. Is this right?

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 10:13:20 pm »
New one on me...but make sure you don't take too much too soon...the calf's need is far greater than yours

Farmer
 :farmer:

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 04:27:56 am »
Hi. That advice you've been given just doesn't make sense.

If you are going to make a house cow out of your dexter there's no practical reason why you shouldn't start during her first lactation.

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 09:24:38 am »
exactly We have been handling her udders every day as told by the breeder in preperation for milking her and we were then told not to milk her. Obviuosly we want the calf to have the lions share and she seems to have plenty of milk. Its so confusing and we want to do the right thing!  ???

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 01:06:31 pm »
Congrats on new arrival !! One of my Dexters is called Pea !! Unfortunately she is not so sweet , so couldn't be called Sweet Pea !! I posted for help when we had a dead calf a few weeks ago. Happily my other Dexter Girl Penelope did calve successfully and we now have Comfort - a chocolate brown Dexter/Red Devon x and she's doing really well. We recently sent a 24 month steer to slaughter and have another ready to go Oct. The meat is beautiful. All in all, it's a great experience having cattle. Good luck with yours. Bibs  :cow:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS