Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dog training courses  (Read 2354 times)

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
Dog training courses
« on: July 04, 2013, 01:54:52 pm »
I'm thinking of possibly getting into doing dog training as a sideline income & was wondering if anyone else does it & can give me any tips & recommend any courses? Also as well how easy is it to sort things out with national insurance & taxes? As I would also be employed full-time as well, but this would come under self employed (The dog training bit that is.)

This is the website I've been looking at so far & the course I'm thinking of doing but its £1500!

http://www.apdt.co.uk/dog-trainers/dog-training-careers

Any help would be greatly appreciated x

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Dog training courses
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 03:30:55 pm »
Check the Kennel Club website.  You won't get clients unless you are accredited, but you could probably start by doing pet obedience one night a week, there's always a call for that - have you ever watched all those folk being pulled along teh pavement by their dogs!  big and small! ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 03:45:21 pm »
I always advise owners to ensure a trainer has a certificate in APBC or COAPE. COAPE also run home study courses  ( or did at one time ).

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 04:35:19 pm »
Ok thanks will look into those at some point during the week & yes I see the owners being dragged around or controlled or trying to control their dogs all the time being a vet nurse. I also see soo many people buying unsuitable dogs or ones that say I'll never have a spaniel or Jack russell again ect because people don't do the research.

It just annoys me when people say their terriers killed hens, or collies or spaniels have too much energy when the dogs are just exhibiting behaviors they were bred to do. I don't disagree with pedigree dogs & buying as a pup from good breeders which I know a lot of, or rescue dogs & everyone has preferences but I always always say do your research when getting a dog & take it to training classes & keep up the training at home.  Ok my dogs not perfect & can be a disobedient at times - part of it is the breed being known to be stubborn, but if I keep up to date with our training ect it keeps on top of things & he makes for a much easier pet x

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 05:20:50 pm »
Sometimes however people get put off with dog training before they start.....

Took my young Doberman to training class. Behaved very well, then a smaller dog decided to bark at him and try to attack him. Bless him, the Dobie just barked back and tried to ignore the fangs at his throat!

The outcome? Trainer shouted, (to us) has your dog always been vicious ?? (because he barked!)

We turned round, and walked out! Never went back.

So please, if you are going to be a dog trainer, a plea - don't be prejudiced against the big, or black and tan breeds, look at the behaviour and who is being aggressive and who isn't when there's any incident!

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 10:30:16 pm »
That's fair comment & I personally think that individual was wrong & could have turned that situation into a positive learning situation by demonstrating the terriers reaction to other dogs.

In my line of work you have to be able to take each individual & treat them as such, little or large & no matter what breed, situation ect as we're often working with stressed animals that are often in pain or discomfort. I often find breeds like Dobermans, Rottweilers, German sheppards & staffies to be well behaved good natured dogs & often well trained because of the breed reputations - If I owned a property I wouldn't hesitate in owning a Doberman in fact. The worst breed offenders I tend to find are Terriers, collies, spaniels & toy dogs for aggression & disobedience - all 3 1st examples are high energy working dogs that often don't make good pets.

Personally I feel you see these problems because they are animals that want to work & be on the go all the time. That & with the toy dogs there are many noted neurological conditions because the skulls are so small & flat faced (Brachiocephalic) breeds are common in this breed category, but also with the toy dogs you see a lot of spoilt small dogs.  I'm not saying this stands for all dogs, it's just after working in a vets & a couple of practices what I tend to see regularly - but you do have to take each case as an individual.

Also "lachlanandmarcus" I'd go find a different class or someone who does lessons at home - explain what has happened to the trainer before hand & give it another go it'll be worth it in the end x

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 10:06:18 am »
Lachlanandmarcus,I would look for a club that knows what they are doing! This club sounds like the trainer doesn't know how to handle anything other than a well behaved dog.
Both clubs I attend at present accept any natured dogs. Even aggressive dogs. The work in both clubs is controlled in a manner to suit each individual dog. We often have rescue dogs and at present have an aggressive GSD but with work and regular attendance the behaviour improves. How else does a dog who feels threatened by other dogs get a chance to be around other dogs in controlled situations to learn how it should behave.
Must also add that no other dog is put under any risk and young dogs at a critical point in their learning are kept a distance so they dont get influenced in any way.

Both instructors have many years experience with multiple breeds themselves. I think this helps.

I really hope that the dog training industry becomes strictly regulated soon so that unscrupulous so called trainers or behaviourists are wiped out. At present any Joe public can start a club  :-\
I really wish there

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 10:36:24 am »
Go the the behaviour and training councils website they have good stuff about courses on there. The APDT is the best or the KC accredited trainers thingy.

You are looking at spending a fair bit of time and money to do it properly.

Being a Gwen Bailey Puppy School teacher is a great way to start.

If you want a good reading list of books etc and other resources feel free to PM me. ( half way through a degree in behaviour and have been teaching classes for 4 years)
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 07:21:43 am »
Ok thats fair comment & at the minute I'm just wondering about cost as I don't have huge amounts to spend at present - but I am interested in this sort of thing & the behavior sort of thing - because of my job & it's also something that can go hand in hand with my vet nursing & also because of my job which I've just mentioned I would like to think that would appeal to people who realize I'm someone who knows & is trained how to work with & handle animals properly to a high standard & that I'm proud of it. x

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 02:52:20 pm »
If your a VN than have  you looked at the BVNA behaviour course?

On the vetnurse.co.uk website there are quite  few cpd bits on there advertised.

Also Compass do a fab range of distance learning courses, that are BVNA cpd approved. I'm happy to pm a good range of books to read to get you going, the BSAVA manual of Behaviour is a good starting point.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS