Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buff Sussex? rescues  (Read 2159 times)

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
Buff Sussex? rescues
« on: June 07, 2013, 12:06:22 pm »
I have just rescued some birds. Got them as buff sussex. Lovely looking birds apart from missing lots of feathers after being with a cockerel and one is missing an eye (I think probably mating injury, although maybe wrong). They are doing really well learning how to forage, they were kept on concrete as the land they would have been on was clay. I am a unsure as to whether they are buff sussex or not. The only ones I have to compare them to are 9 week old cockerels from my hatch - sold the hens (unwillingly, but where children are concerned)! The new birds are completely buff from what I can see at present apart from the odd black feather in the tail, some also have 5 toes. The cockerel they were with was all buff aswell nothing like the ones I have. I can't find any pictures of Buff Sussex on the internet that looks like them. I am thinking maybe Orpington - not that I mind. But opinions would be good.

It has made me decide to make some hen saddle when I start breeding. I have already bought some faux leatherette. But then I have 1 hen and cockerel in the garden and she is ok even without the saddle. When they are fully feathered I will get some pictures of them and hopefully we will have more of an idea.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Buff Sussex? rescues
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 08:27:27 pm »
Good for you, for having rescued them  :thumbsup:

If you want to take some photos now,  I keep Buff Sussexes so am happy to have a look and see what I think.

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 08:12:44 am »
Thank you Jaykay. I think it may be an idea to wait for them to feather up a bit - they have been well trodden, although they have allot of their neck and most of their tail feathers. I will however see what I can do. With plenty of TLC and worming they should be ok. They aren't eating much but still laying and active. They do like the grass though.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 05:21:57 pm »
I was given three Buff Sussex hens and a cockerel.Sadly the stunning looking cockerel has  died, but the hens are still laying well.  Egg is quite small considering the size of the hen.  Mine have black feathers round the neck.  They are nice placid birds.  Two are broody at present.

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 03:18:34 pm »
Buff Sussex are beautiful birds. Sorry about the cockerel. I have 3 x 9 week old cockerels with the black neck and tail feathers. I will either be selling 2 of them or the will have to go for the other option. :( 

The ones I have will be beautiful when they feather up. When I get their trust a bit more I will be able to take pictures of them. They are very nervy at the moment but a couple have started to come towards me as long as I don't move. They do look happier though. I will probably be getting the other 3 (2 hens and a cockerel) in the next few weeks. Just need to sort out where to put them.

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 04:06:10 pm »
The hens I took in are doing well. Still very nervous but I have been able to stroke them at times - trying not to push them too hard. I have tried to take pictures of them but they will not stay still long enough and it is difficult as they are missing so many feathers. 4 of the eggs have hatched and they are really fluffy on the heads. I don't remember my B/S Being that fluffy when they hatched. I can't get the pictures off my phone at the moment otherwise I would post some pictures. They are really sweet and fall asleep in your hand aswell.

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 12:24:05 pm »
I have finally managed to get some photos of a couple of the Buff Sussex. Not very good but that is me using my phone camera. Hopefully you can see enough. One isn't coping that well with the heat. They aren't the best layers - just a few eggs a week. Still quite nervy but I have been able to stroke a couple of them, but they still do a runner most of the time.

If any one can tell me is my suspicions that they are not Buff Sussex but more like Orpingtons are right, or wrong I would be grateful. I still think they will be lovely birds when they sort themselves out. There is no aggression at all with them. It is like they want the attention but are scared.

Thank you in advance
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:55:16 pm by harefarm »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS