Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Great Yorkshire Show hosts a rare chance to see every UK rare sheep breed  (Read 3392 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
To celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Rare Breeds Survival Trust, members of the charity??s York and Dales Support Groups have encouraged sheep breeders from all over the UK to bring their rare breeds to take part in a Grand Sheep Parade at the Great Yorkshire Show, on the 10th and 11th of July.

RBST was founded in 1973 after 26 breeds of farmed livestock became extinct between 1900 and 1973, and since its formation forty years ago, no further breeds have been lost.  Some of the breeds that will take part in the parade are familiar to viewers of BBC??s ??Countryfile? as RBST supporter Adam Henson frequently champions rare breeds on the programme.  RBST President, Peter Titley, himself a regular exhibitor in the sheep lines at the show, has kindly agreed to commentate for the parade, giving a real insight into the different breeds and what makes them so special.

From the diminuitive Boreray, the rarest breed of them all, which hails from a tiny island in the Outer Hebrides, to the largest native breed, the Oxford Down, the parade has been a labour of love for co-organiser, Lyn Arrowsmith, from Raskelf near York. ??This has taken months of planning,? said Lyn. ??Getting all the breeds to the show has not been an easy task but I can't wait to see them all together in the ring!?

Many of the sheep on display will also be taking part in the Native Breed Sheep Classes and the RBST has sponsored two special rosettes for ??Best Primitive? and ??Best Non-primitive? Rare Breed at the Show.  Northern Field Officer Ruth Dalton has been amazed at the response to the 40th Anniversary Parade ??We have swamped the Native Breed classes with Rare Breeds, it??s just fantastic!? she said ??The Show have been really helpful and once again we will have our big marquee with lots of animals and information, but to have so many rare breeds represented in the showing classes is a real triumph?

The parade will take place on Wednesday the 10th July at 4pm and Thursday the 11th July at 1pm in the Sheep rings.  Native Sheep classes commence at 11am on Tuesday the 9th July.
END

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
I'm going on Wednesday but to see Pig of the Year mainly.
Mandy :pig:

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
 :wave:we are going up sunday. trailer load of pigs and beer  ;) one in the POY too.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
I'm trying to convince OH that it is educational enough to take the boys out of school on Thursday so we can go  :innocent:

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
We are going, taking 11 pigs in all  :) .
We took the caravan yesterday and ground was lovely and dry this year so fingers crossed it stays that way  ;D   :fc:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Well, got the holiday form in for the boys so getting ready for Thursday  :excited:  :excited:
May just leave OH behind as he has been inundated with work and being self employed  really cannot up and go.
 Never mind, I'll take the credit card, thank you  :roflanim:

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
I would love to go......but will be in dry hot and dusty London working.........I really should engineer that better......could have gone week previous instead... >:(

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Traffic horrendous at 8am this morning according to my on spot reporter sat on A1 ::) .
I will be mainly up & at 'em early doors tomorrow for my trip in!
looks like it will be a scorcher too.
mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS