Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much for my ewe lambs once weaned?  (Read 3882 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
How much for my ewe lambs once weaned?
« on: July 03, 2013, 01:58:37 pm »
I'm selling a couple of my ewe lambs once they are weaned they are 3/4 Suffolk, they wont be far off 40kg. They are for breeding and I think they are really good lambs!

Our local market is selling lambs at 40kg for 93 pounds! Can I charge that for breeding stock? It seems a lot but of course I want the most for my lambs!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 02:42:06 pm by Hillview Farm »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: How much for my ewe lambs once weaned?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 05:50:29 pm »
Most breeding sheep here are sold as shearling ewes at close to 18 months (in their second autumn, just before tupping), not as lambs.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 07:32:22 pm »
Many people down here sell as lambs

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 08:52:59 pm »
Have a look at store lamb prices. Sales of stores generally start in the next week or so. Most around here sell their better ones as gimmer lambs or more commonly as shearlings in the breeding sales in the Autumn. Try Preloved or something like that at the price you want. If you get no takers chances are you are asking too much.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 09:46:38 am »
I've got a buyer Just trying to work out a price :) I shall keep an eye on the market

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 09:51:52 am »
For my pedigree Southdown lambs I take the average of the average ewe lambs prices at the Society sales the previous year plus the auction upset price (below which a bid won't be taken).  This generally comes out at well below the highest auction average but above the upset price.  I prefer to sell off farm so people can see our set up, how docile and healthy the flock is and be reassured that they can follow up the sale by contacting me for advice and information if they want to.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 05:38:00 pm »
I would charge meat price + £10 for non pedigree breeding ewes. You'll have to check the mart reports when you come to sell them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS