Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which antibiotic for footrot?  (Read 5056 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Which antibiotic for footrot?
« on: July 31, 2013, 06:50:03 pm »
One of my ewes has really bad footrot - which antibiotic is better Betamox LA or Pen&Strep? Those are the two I have in the cupboard, and she is in with a batch of ewes that go off tomorrow, so best time for to jab her tonight. Difficult to catch....

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Which antibiotic for footrot?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 08:43:29 pm »
I'd use Betamox, Its what my vet advised and its Long acting!

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 08:47:40 pm »
Oxytet works best for feet, so get a bottle for future use. When you say going off do you mean to market?

Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 09:40:42 pm »
Oxytet works best for feet, so get a bottle for future use. When you say going off do you mean to market?

Not her, but I brought all of them into a pen, the others are going off to abattoir tomorrow. Have to wait for her until better.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 09:41:36 pm »
I'd use Betamox, Its what my vet advised and its Long acting!

Thanks. She will be done 1st thing in the morning. Odd time for footrot though...

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 06:16:59 am »
 :relief:  . Hope she recovers quickly.

Allison
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 10:27:05 am »
I use footvax, I vaccinate all the problem sheep and I can honestly say despite have crap soggy ground I've not had a case of foot rot in the two years of using it. I know its not everyone's preference but it works for me.
regards

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 11:08:54 am »

Odd time for footrot though...
Anytime is good for footrot :).
Remember that it's the sheep that carry the footrot bacteria, rather than the pasture (it can only live without a host for 7-10 days).  So treat and move, and cull repeat offenders.
The current "Stamp out Lameness" campaign is a good source of information for anyone who wants to learn more about combating feet problems.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 02:44:45 pm »
I trimmed and sprayed as necessary then Footvaxed in 2007.  Moved them onto ground that hadn't been grazed for three weeks, then moved them onto clean grazing again.  Not seen it (or had to vaccinate) since.  No scald either.  I run a virtually closed flock and quarantine incoming rams on my neighbour's smallholding for six weeks before they join the flock.  The vaccination was expensive but I must have saved the cost in the purple foot spray I didn't need in the following year, let alone since.  Only thing I'd do differently would be to jab in the Autumn.  The adjuvant is very thick and the young ewes rubbed and rubbed the injection spot against fences until it was raw so we had to gather them and spray to keep the flies off every few days for a few weeks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS