Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding tomatoes  (Read 2144 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Feeding tomatoes
« on: June 29, 2013, 08:08:48 am »
What should I be feeding my tomatoes now?

They are going great guns and are quite tall. They are still growing but some of the early trusses are already bearing fruit.

So should I use shoot, root or fruit feed NPK-wise??
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Feeding tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 12:13:16 pm »
Fruit feed mainly as you want lots of flowers to set.  But you still need a bit for leaves and roots as the plants are still growing.  I use comfrey liquid with a dash of manure  :yum:  and judge the effect empirically - if it's working, don't change it  :thumbsup:

I also have an old bottle of Westland conc tomato feed, suitable for organic growing, which I use for tomato plants still indoors in pots - doesn't smell like my potions.  Haven't been able to find a new bottle yet - don't know who stocks it now, or even if they still make it.

I use tomato feed for chillies, peppers, aubergines etc too.  Oh and for houseplants as well if they are being grown for their flowers.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 12:44:19 pm »
I agree. If you have your own comfrey, make up some comfrey tea. If not, Tomorite is a good thing to feed at this stage.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 11:50:39 pm »
If you can't wait to make comfrey feed  any standard off the shelf tom feed like Tomorite will do .
You adjust the strength according to as what the plant is now at in growth /flowering or fruiting stages .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 10:38:09 am »
Saw on one of the garden programs that comfrey and nettles made a good feed soaked in water for a few weeks.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 01:05:40 pm »
Saw on one of the garden programs that comfrey and nettles made a good feed soaked in water for a few weeks.

:thumbsup:  brilliant stuff, just don't breath in the smell  :P

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS