Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: missing sheep  (Read 2269 times)

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
missing sheep
« on: June 28, 2013, 06:14:26 pm »
two of my sheep have gone from my field i think some idiot has taken them  :gloomy: as i have brand new 4 feet stock fence all around my field. who do i report this to and how do i go about finding them? there are tagged in both ears form the breeder and i have a movement from him to me.
really worried now as my land is 5m from my home and i still have two more sheep and 7pigs

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: missing sheep
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 06:29:06 pm »
Report it to animal health at the council and also to the police once you've thoroughly checked the boundary line. Also check with any farms /houses that would have to be passed or are within earshot.

Hope you get them back. Maybe Bolus EID the remaining ones if that's possible so the number can't be removed (they would then have black tags I think in ears to denote Bolus in stomach) and attach notices to the gate advising that they have Bolus IDs (doesn't help if they end up in a backstreet illegal abbatoir but will if they try to sell them on through anywhere legitimate)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 06:46:00 pm »
Tattoo the ears in the future.

GaddesdenGal

• Joined Jan 2013
  • East Hertfordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 08:30:12 pm »
Poor you. Hope this ends well for you  :hug:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 08:58:57 pm »
we lost an untagged lamb last year, he was about 4 mths old. i never found his body anywhere but as he was a lightweight xbreed i didnt think he would have been stolen. i guess a fox took him away into the woods where i cant get to as its so dense.
however 2 sheep going missing seems less of an accident. what a worry for you.

Pomme homme

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 11:27:31 pm »
Round here, a couple of years ago, there was a problem with - and now I must be PC - travelling people, whose arrival in the neighbourhood coincided with the disappearance, at night, of numbers of lambs which were within relatively small enclosures and outlying buildings. Nothing could be proved, so it might just have been a coincidence. However for so long as there are people who will buy cheap meat, consciously avoiding the asking of the questions why it is so cheap and what is its provenance, in the current economic climate such circumstances will continue to occur. Sadly, I fear that there's no solution to this problem - save to keep the animals in fields large enough that the b****rs can't catch them or that such a din is made that neighbours are alerted or the would be thieves decide that the effort and/or risk is so great that they'll give up and - sad to say - go elsewhere!

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 11:52:16 pm »
A few weeks ago we found our field gate wide open first thing in the morning. It opens uphill so no chance it'd opened accidentally in any way. Thankfully we got our sheep and alpacas back in but it was a very unsettling incident, especially as our land is away from the road. I'd hate to lose my animals but I have two young children and the thought that someone had been in our land and perhaps around the house spooks me a bit I must admit.

WhiteHorses

• Joined Apr 2013
  • West Lothian, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 07:59:05 am »
I really hope you find them

A small number of my borrowed Welsh ewes used to regularly disappear and turn up a coupe of fields away. I think they hopped over the boundary fencing though which was just sheep netting with old sparse hedge or post and rail - no wire on top

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS