Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rams and foxes  (Read 4734 times)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
Rams and foxes
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:48:53 am »
We lost a Turkey last night and whilst it cannot be denied that this was directly a result of human error, there were three rams in the paddock / orchard. Its not even as if she was taken at the perimeter, it was in the middle. So rams don't chase off foxes?  I can't image in my ewes with or without lambs tolerating one (especially the way they bop my dogs).

So the rams do 2 months work then scrounge off you the rest of the year but can't even do a bit of fox security in return?
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Rams and foxes
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:07:39 am »
Sorry about your turkey  :(  Wonder if rams  protect their own rather than other species? I know our ewes are madly protective about the younger sheep in their little flock, they chase our dog and I've seen them attack the fox. Maybe they are so used to seeing the fox take crows or rabbits they didn't think to protect?
Maybe rams are just like some of the men round this village - do the fun bit and then take no responsibility  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 10:10:30 am »

So the rams do 2 months work then scrounge off you the rest of the year but can't even do a bit of fox security in return?
You've got it!
Like you say,  the ewes will fight a dog off to protect their lambs, but outside of the lambing season I doubt that they would bother either. Their protective instinct only comes in if they have something to protect.
If you want something that will seriously keep predators away - try a couple of donkeys, or a mule. :hshoe:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 11:22:26 am »
I dunno our rams are pretty docile & seem to be quieter / more tame than the ewes & will often approach you & let you stroke them, ok their hard to shift when they want. But as for aggression ours rarely fight between themselves but will on the odd but rare occasion have a go at our dogs or try a little stand off.

If you want good protection animals look into aplacas & they get on with sheep x

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 03:33:56 pm »
My alpacas are incredibly protective over the lambs, they're all 4 boys so not a maternal thing! In fact they were the same when my big pig farrowed in their field last summer, they were fascinated by piglets. They actively chase my dogs away even though the lambs love the dogs (one thinks he is a dog) and their mums don't mind the dogs being close either.

However with just chickens to guard in a large/free range area they have let me down - I would have the birds in a smaller area and them patrolling around it if I were to do it again and this works well for other people I know with alpacas and chickens. I suspect they will remain more protective of all the sheep now, they were a bit stand-offish before lambs came along.
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 09:21:06 pm »
I used to have a shetland ram that hated dogs and would charge any dog that was in his field, the local hunting boys would bring any dogs that showed any unhealthy interest in sheep and he would give them what for, so I think he would have seen of a Fox. I have owned a few rams and he was the only one like this.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 05:18:22 pm »
My shetland Ram rambo has seen off a fox before, butted him to kingdom come!

He also chases the pigs off, even when I dont want him to.... and any other sheep he dis likes at that moment!

Maybe some other breeds are just more docile?!

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 10:11:23 pm »

I wouldn't use alpacas to protect against foxes. I was stood looking out over the field at dusk one night when I saw a large fox walk directly between our four complete male alpacas. They didn't bat an eyelid between them.

They have however taken rather too much of a shine to our cade ewes and too much of a dislike to our rams, and so sadly they'll probably have to be sold.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS