Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Big Day  (Read 3528 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Big Day
« on: June 20, 2013, 09:18:26 am »
I have been breaking Rory to drive for quite a while now. he is a very sensitive soul so I have not rushed him in any way. Last week I took him out on the road for a bit pulling tyres. Now we have been doing this in the field for ages but on the road a lot more noise and he went very well. Yesterday I decided it was time to put him to the carriage. I let him have a good sniff and look before getting his harness on. brought the carriage forward carefully watching him for any sign that he was worried. He was so well behaved that I harnessed him up and lead him round the small paddock. Just so delighted that he went so well, will be doing this for a while until I am sure he is 100 per cent happy and then when OH is around get him to lead him while I am in the driving seat. He had gone on loan to a friend for the winter 210/211 to keep her pony company. No idea what happened but he came back a nervous wreck so it has taken me a long time to get him into the happy boy he used to be. We have broken him to ride and he is now learning to jump which he seems to love. Around the children he is so laid back. As I was on my own no pictures but the day I get in the carriage will get some.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Big Day
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:15:25 am »
That's lovely to hear  :thumbsup:.  Well done Rory and well done you. :-*  Piccies will be very much appreciated  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 11:28:26 am »
 :thumbsup: Lovley to hear about Rory's progress  :)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 06:40:13 pm »
.Had Rory in his carriage again today. this time we did a bit longer walking round the paddock, getting him to halt and also go back. here he is.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:41:56 pm by sabrina »

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 07:14:45 pm »
That is SUCH a brilliant picture you must be so proud!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :trophy:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 07:42:02 pm »
I am very proud ! He was so nervous when he came back from my friends that I thought I would never get him in harness. giving him plenty of time as been the answer.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 09:59:52 pm »
That's great, I do love driving  :thumbsup:
Graham

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 10:10:56 pm »
Fantastic work  :thumbsup:  your gentle approach certainly paid off  Gorgeous little man  :love:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 03:45:34 pm »
Just back from a lovely drive out with Rory, we had a little trot and he is going  so well. Emma rode Teka to keep me company.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 05:00:30 pm »
How fantastic, bet you can't stop grinning in between concentrating!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 09:30:00 am »
Rory is going great in his carriage and I feel delighted that when Emma now goes out on  hack instead of me walking I can drive. This weekend Emma's friend Chloe is here so he is being ridden and doing a little jumping. Still very green but so willing. Chloe can be nervous but her face is just a picture when she has done a jump or had a canter. I gave the girls a lesson last night, made a small course of jumps and Emma had her first clear round. Teka although 22 years old likes to do everything at speed so we worked on slowing her down. She has done pony club all her life until we got her a year ago and has taught Emma so much. the vet cannot believe her age. Due to this I keep lesson short then we go out for a hack to settle them down and relax for about 30 mins. I get as much fun doing this s the girls do.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS