Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs under the weather!  (Read 4504 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Pigs under the weather!
« on: July 24, 2009, 09:56:07 pm »
When my OH fed (pellets) the pigs this morning both came out of bed slowly Snuffle ate unenthusiatically and Niffle had a drink and then went back to bed without eating.

At tea time I fed them (pellets and Cauli) Niffle sauntered out of bed and ate, but Snuffle stayed in bed and then eventually got up for a drink and then went back to bed.

Just now my OH went to give them their supper (pellets) and Niffle came out and eat, but not with his normal gusto.  Snuffle stayed in bed so my OH climbed and tried to encourage him out - he eventually came out, sniffed the food and then just lay down beside it.  My OH said Snuffle felt hot.

Can we give him Calpol?  What should we do?  Why do animals always get poorly on a Friday night?!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Pigs under the weather!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 07:47:44 am »
HI MM, I give mine something similar.  Is he any better this morning?  If they are unenthusiastic about their food it may just be that they dont need so much at present.  Do they have treats that they are particularly fond of?  Perhaps a small replacement meal of favourite fruit and veg to tempt the appetite.

If they are drinking its not so bad.  Is it possible they are constipated?  Hope they are better today.  HM

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 08:40:15 am »
Thanks for the reply.  Snuffle ate his breakfast slowly, but Niffle took ages to come out of his bed and then had 2 poohs, a drink and then just lay down on the ground.

There's definitely something wrong - its not just that they don't need the food.  They are both lethargic and feel hot.  I'll try some Calpol and see what happens.

I'll keep you posted.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 09:29:03 am »
Hi have you thought of erysipelas can cause pigs to be very dull and lethargic hot and not very willing to get up and about. Does not always show up as a marked lameness can be just unwilling to move about much and off their food they can even just look a little miserable on it ! If the vet thinks it's this then a 3 day penicillen course sorts them out.

Higgins11

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 01:48:04 pm »
The fever is the worry some part of this.

I would suggest some antibiotics...........pennacillian or similar...........are they wilth pig?? if so you may need to use amoxicillian as not to induce an abortion

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 08:54:05 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Theyare both poohing, weeing and drinking fine.  They have definitely perked up a bit today and are now eating better.  They are not quite back to their normal comic selves, but not far off.

We gave them some Calpol on some bread and will give them some more tonight and see how we go.

I had to go to the Chemist to get some more Calpol and just as I asked for it my 6 year old announced at the top of his voice "Its for our pigs - they're poorly!"  The Chemist giggled quitely and said "I'll pretend I didn't hear that otherwise I wouldn't be able to sell it to you!"  I hung my head in embaressment and scuttled out of the shop!

Will let you know how the pigs are tomorrow.  I think they've just caught and 48hr and should be right as rain tomorrow - fingers crossed!

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 11:25:29 pm »
Hi MM

have the pigs got a wallow?

it has been relativly cool here today, however i have a sow who had piglets last night and would not leave them today at all, the pig ark was so hot inside and she was panting, I had to agrivate het to get her out and let her cool down.

A good trick is to pour vinigar behind their ears, it evaporates quickly and helps lower the temprature, what ever you do dont hose them down as it could cause a heart attack

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 12:38:20 am »
wow smiffy, is that true about the heart attack.  I sprayed one of mine the other day just for a bit of fun, when I was filling up their water.  I have to admit she didn't like it at all so I wouldn't have done it again but I had no idea it could have killed her!!

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 08:09:10 am »
Oink

yes its true, but only when they have over heated and panting.
if they are layed down, you can pour a bucket of water on the floor so it runs underneath them

If the body temp is normal and its a fine spray, thats ok, my weaners love to run in and out of a fine spray, some of the adults do, some dont

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 09:32:45 am »
So relieved they are improving M-M

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 02:20:40 pm »
If they're still under the weather a quick call to the vet may be an idea. He/she will probably recommend a dose of anti-biotics (we keep a bottle of Pen and Strep, among others, in store). Then all you have to do is get a barrier to hide behind (old door or sheep hurdle) while you reach over and inject it in the neck muscle. By the third day of the course you will have the devil's own job catching the pig for the daily jab. Good luck!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 06:12:53 pm »
Thank you so so much for all your help and support.  Thank fully Snuffle and Niffle are back to their normal grunting snuffling selves.  They are gobbeling their food like no tomorrow and all is OK!

I think they must have had a small bug - Swine Flu?!  Niffle has a few raised insect bites on his skin, I'm guessing horse fly bites from the size of them, but I think that is totally separate issue to the illness.

Well at least all is OK except the cat who has an abcess that I'm haveing to drain twice a day and a chicken with a very badly swollen eye!   ::)

Are we ever totally normal and healthy here?!  Maybe normal, but never sane! ;D

YorkshireSmallholder

• Joined Jun 2008
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 01:36:22 pm »
A similar thing happened to ours recently - I suspect they may have dug up a wasp or bee's nest as they were both covered in raised bumps - they also recovered in a couple of days. Taking a temperature is a good way of checking if it's a fever or not.

Glad to hear all is well now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS