Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping all my poultry in one shed overnight?  (Read 2160 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Keeping all my poultry in one shed overnight?
« on: June 22, 2013, 07:54:39 pm »
Due to my problem with eggs I have had the idea large garden shed all in at night with a flap to be set to open at 10am? I have 4 ducks and 9 hens will they be ok?

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Keeping all my poultry in one shed overnight?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 08:12:03 pm »
Probably EVENTUALY...but you may have problems at the start. You do not say what the conditions are/were prior to the single shed.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 08:45:31 pm »
Hens in an old livestock trailer....well 6 of them and 3 others in a coop. Ducks a large nest box they free range all day over 4 acres

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 09:04:44 pm »
Well at least it's not home ground for any of them - I think that would make it worse. I guess you'll have perches fitted for the hens? As long as the ducks have enough room that they're not straight underneath the chickens, I imagine it'll be fine. As Mel says, might take a slight 'settling in' period. I've got a duck that goes into my chicken house at night but that's because she's still young and with her broody mum. I've tried moving her to the duck house but she doesn't like it and I've no idea whether she'll ever realise she's a duck!

H

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 09:42:20 pm »
if the hens can perch up high, the ducks can sit below and hopefully wont be pooped on  :innocent:

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 11:07:49 pm »
Our hens & ducks have slept together fine x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS