Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Calcium  (Read 1849 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Calcium
« on: June 20, 2013, 07:38:51 am »
I am keeping a GOS weaner for my neighbor who is a cattle man. He keeps asking me about feed and if I am giving calcium. I explained that the pig nuts have all essential minerals but he tells me that he will buy a calcium suppliment.

Are there any calcium rich foods I can give them?

The pigs are good diggers and I would have tough that they get a good mix of minerals from the soil as the snout about.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Calcium
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:59:02 am »
MAk
Never heard of calcium supplements for pigs before, unless the ground is particularly lacking in it in your area, so long as they're getting their nut ration everything they need is in those.
Extra calcium comes form most obviously dairy products, milk, cheese, whey, see this link for calcium rich food - http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-calcium.php
hth
mandy :pig:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 12:12:32 pm »
Many thanks Mandy - that is what I told him about the nuts but I note that his calves often have a salt lick and get daily flour mix when out to green pasture. It would be great to get to know of a dairy though.
I may make them herring in dried herbs topped with sesame seeds in a cheese sauce ! That should get their Ca up.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 01:21:07 pm »
Or, you could milk a goat and feed it to them  ;)

Here's me doing just that with Big Red our Kunekune boar  ;D
https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=583381565034701&notif_t=like

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 05:06:42 pm »
The mineral lick cattle have is due to the amount of liquid in grass.  Cattle need calcium as it's what they require to provide the push during calving.  They will also require copper if the ground is copper poor and magnesium, a lack of magnesium will give staggers. Pigs have a feed given to them which is balanced. Hope that provides some understanding.. however it might sound like drivel as been in the pimms tent all afternoon

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 05:53:06 pm »
no thanks Hassel - that is great info.
Enjoy the rest of the day ! Hic
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS