Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Recommend a good book  (Read 5574 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Recommend a good book
« on: November 29, 2021, 11:21:24 pm »
I'm an avid reader but I'm always on the lookout for good books, especially on Kindle. I love my kindle, but I would happily read a good story from the back of an old envelope if that's where it was.

My favourite author at the moment for thrillers is J D Kirk.  His tales are set in Scotland, with plenty of genuine 'Scottishness' - imaginative swearing, black humour and some bad stuff but with underlying humanity and evocative locations - and not sanitised in any way for the American market.  I appreciate that many people are not into that kind of reading but I'm recommending him anyway.

Another author I'm fond of is Elly Griffiths and her Dr Ruth Galloway series, set in North Norfolk.  Nothing soppy, plenty of archaeology and always a good story in the mystical landscape of the Norfolk marshes.

Who can recommend a good read for when I've finished book 13 in that series?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Recommend a good book
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 07:25:25 am »
I'm enjoying the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series by Louise Penny. Set in Quebec and the Eastern Townships. I've read them before and am rereading them - I think there are seventeen in the series. I really, really want to live in Three Pines, despite the murders  :innocent:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 09:47:35 am »
I'm enjoying "A Short History of the World According to Sheep", by Sally Coulthard.

TBH though, Fleecewife, it's more a book you could have written than one I'd say you should definitely read!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 10:37:57 am »
I'll try any of the zero priced books on Amazon :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 12:45:20 pm »
I'm enjoying "A Short History of the World According to Sheep", by Sally Coulthard.

TBH though, Fleecewife, it's more a book you could have written than one I'd say you should definitely read!!

That's a bit perceptive Womble  :o

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 12:52:02 pm »
I've just started www.amazon.co.uk/What-If-Scientific-Hypothetical-Questions-ebook

As I child I drove my Mum dizzy with all those weird and wonderful questions, as does one of my grandsons now, and this book takes the time to investigate some of the more daft ones, looking into the science.  I shall get a paper copy for Eddie, for all his questions I couldn't answer.  The book is written by Randall Munroe, who is also a cartoonist.  I've not got far yet as I'm still reading Elly Griffiths' latest, but Mr F is chortling away at it.

Ah, having just looked at the paper price, it's £40, so almost cheaper to get him a Kindle!!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 01:07:05 pm »
That's a bit perceptive Womble  :o

Accidentally. Though, do tell?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 01:14:09 pm »
No, I haven't written a book :D  although I did try many years ago and decided I wasn't good enough, nor did I have enough time to be good ::)

These suggestions have just cost me plenty though.  As well as the first Armand Gamache book as recommended by Rosemary, and the sheep book, I couldn't resist a fascinating book by Neil Oliver on the history of Britain.  Maybe I should follow your lead Doganjo and only go for the free ones  8)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 01:45:48 pm »
Plenty to choose from, and if the writing quality doesn't live up to my expectations after the first couple of chapters I don't waste time and ditch it

I'm into historical romances, witchy things and time travel - sometimes all three combined  :roflanim:

Edit I was very partial to Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series books(much more so than the TV version which just didn't match up to my mental pictures at all)  but the latest one Bees is very expensive so I think it'll go on my Amazon wish list
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 01:43:36 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 04:54:36 pm »
I very rarely read novels these days (though I admit to the odd trashy romance story from the library), but I have recently read the newest Dave Goulson (Silent Earth) - but it did require a trashy story afterwards, as it is not that upbeat, but my beekeeping failure now does make sense:

I am also reading "Kindred" by Rebecca Wragg Sykes - all about the Neanderthals, and I love it. But that just shows that I am a bit (or a lot) on the geeky side.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 05:02:13 pm »
Time travel, yes.  Witchy things and romances from whatever era, no.

I like some science fiction, the good stuff.  I love medieval mysteries, any mysteries really when ever they're set.  I loved Anne McCaffrey's Dragon books set on Pern but not some of her more mystical stuff.  I'm not into mystical/religion/long dull histories of the Roman Empire or Dickens.  Basically I LOVE stories and if there's something to puzzle out on the way, so much the better. It is a shame that so many mysteries have to begin with a murder.

I discovered The Mysteries of Udolfo by Anne Radcliffe when I was at school. This is the gothic novel that Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey was poking fun at and it makes so much more sense once you've read the Mysteries of Udolfo.

Following on from 'What if?' (below), I was watching cars go by in the dark just now, and wondering what happens to the light once they've gone.  You might expect them to leave a bit behind, but no, all gone instantly.  After a short physics lesson from Mr F, I know it's something to do with a mix of the speed of light, dissipation, and light being bounced and absorbed and turned into a different form which we can't see  :idea:   :thinking: :thinking: Mmmm not sure I believe that, but as Mr F has kindly taken over from my Mum with answering my daft questions, I shall be content.

Thanks Anke, Kindred is definitely going on my wish list.  Most of my understanding of that time period depends on the 'Clan of the Cave Bear' series by Jean M Auel.  We even called our GSD Ayla  :love:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS