Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how much?  (Read 3620 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
how much?
« on: June 15, 2013, 04:02:18 pm »
I have a lovely ryeland ram lamb who can be registered.  I have no idea what he is worth.  The shearlings I bought cost an arm and a leg.  My shearer said he would give me £120.00 if he was registered but it doesn't sound much to me, but what do I know?

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: how much?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 04:14:33 pm »
Ram lambs are always harder to shift than ewes. Unless he has a great pedigree or has brilliant conformation, or size, he is probably not worth as much as you think? Did you pay a little over the odds for the ewes? A farmer I know sets his prices according to the type of vehicle that comes down his drive  :innocent:

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 04:22:13 pm »
We paid £160 for a very well bred shearling Ryeland tup 3 years ago, who had some show successes behind him too.

You have to consider the alternative if you don't sell him as a tup. If you keep him for meat, and get say 20kg of saleable meat from him, which you can sell for say £10 per kg, that'll net you £200, less kill and butchery costs and any time/money you spend on him in the interim.

From what you've said I'd say £120 sounds like a fair price unless he has good breeding, and ultimately he's worth what a buyer is willing to pay for him.

HTH.

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 04:35:16 pm »
Half lamb boxes sell for around £60 in my area, so even if you keep him and sell him boxed, that's still £120, before butchery/killing. If you keep him till he is a shearling, you will still be spending out on feed, wormer, shearing, and any other expenses, til next year

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 06:09:25 pm »
It all depends on what bloodlines he is out of as to how much he is worth to sell as a breeding tup lamb. Who are his parents. Any Ryeland breeder is after a good tup, but he must be to breed standard. Pictures would be good never know who is looking.
I have two excellent coloured ram lambs I might take both to the show & sale haven't made up my mind yet, depends if I sell them first. I have registered them both. My white tup lambs I wait longer to register unless I have something outstanding to give them time to mature.
I think £120 is selling him short, because at the end of the day it costs £15 to register him and that means you are only getting £105 for him.
A good tup lamb would cost you upwards of £200 in the South.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:11:27 pm by kaz »
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 10:50:15 pm »
oh the never ending question on price. I tend to use meat value to but the floor price in and then build from there. I never know what a reasonable amount to ask is but I have to say I have spent a tidy sum on good, well bred breeding ewes before. Our ram lamb we purchase last year (Ryeland not Coloured Ryeland) was far more expensive but we got him at the show and sale in Ludlow and prices were high.  :thumbsup:

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 08:28:58 am »
If you buy at a show, they sometimes have upset prices, so you will be paying a premium at the very start. Ouch! £15 is a bit strong for a registration, Southdown registration is less than half that. I find buying a tup lamb to be much more softer on the pocket  :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 09:49:58 am »
Karen, do you know the show and sale is?  I can't find details in the RFBS web site
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 11:58:49 am »
Registration for GFD ram lambs is £15 too - they are inspected and, if passed, can be registered.  Ewes are £3 and they are not inspected.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 05:06:49 pm »
If you buy at a show, they sometimes have upset prices, so you will be paying a premium at the very start. Ouch! £15 is a bit strong for a registration, Southdown registration is less than half that. I find buying a tup lamb to be much more softer on the pocket  :thumbsup:
Used to be untill recent years £5 ram & £1 ewes, now £15 rams & £5 ewes.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 05:08:21 pm »
Karen, do you know the show and sale is?  I can't find details in the RFBS web site
Its normally the Saturday of the August Bank holiday weekend and at Ludlow Mccarthys Mart.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 10:54:40 am »

Saturday 24th August - Ludlow Livestock Market.

Saturday 21st September - Borderway Mart, Carlisle.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS