Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grazing or grass cutting  (Read 2964 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Grazing or grass cutting
« on: June 09, 2013, 09:19:44 am »
I have a 2 acre field which at the moment houses some chickens and 14 Pygmy goats.

I also have a husband who last Saturday sliced a considerable part of his hand off and is currently in hospital and will be there for the foreseeable future.

Yesterday my dad who is in his 70's spend 8 hrs yesterday cutting grass and it is still not finished.

So at last to my question...

...for a while I have been thinking of getting sheep, but have no knowledge of them. For the last 6 months reading sheep threads on here, I now realise its not quite as simple as sticking a few sheep in a field so my options are...

Go in at the deep end and get some sheep as a complete novice, knowing that although I won't have the hassle of grass maintaining, I will have sheep maintaining. Which is easier grass cutting or sheep?

Or do I try and find someone that is looking for grazing for their sheep and I could learn from the experience?

Or do I just try to find someone who can maintain the grass?

Your thoughts are welcomed, cheers mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Grazing or grass cutting
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 10:28:40 am »
I would if it's fenced ok get someone to come in with their sheep, even if you only charge them a pound to do it (better to charge something and have a written agreement about how long as it avoids them claiming any rights as long as its under 365 days and in writing).

That would be the ideal. Or if you want a really glossy green look, geese are good if a bit noisy. They do poop but if they have enough space it's not bad, it's when they are squashed in that their fields get yucky.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 10:35:26 am »
Sorry to hear about your husband's accident, and bless your Dad for working at the grass.

Like L&M, I'd see if someone wanted to graze it.

Failing that, a few store wether lambs, of the local breed, shouldn't be too hard to look after (certainly no more than pygmy goats!), and you'd send them to the butchers/auction in the autumn when the grass had slowed down anyway.

I think the question is not so much which is more work, sheep or grass-mowing, but which you'd prefer to do. I prefer the former  :)

The other thing is, is there someone who could cut it for you with more major grass-cutting equipment. For example I have a quadbike and towed mower, which would make short work of a relatively flat 2 acre field.....

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 11:15:58 am »
We have 2 quads sitting idle at the moment, what cutting attachment would you recommend and where would I source one from?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 08:10:14 pm »
I have gone and got myself a couple of soay ewe lambs

Check them out on YouTube  "lambs and Bach"

How could i possibly refuse them

Mojo

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 09:02:14 pm »
Well no one couldn't! Good for you!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 07:54:44 am »
Sounds like you had already decided!  :eyelashes:

Do remember sheep need grass to be relatively short to graze ...... you may have to finish that mowing for now!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS