Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shearing again!  (Read 2585 times)

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
Shearing again!
« on: June 09, 2013, 07:37:53 pm »
Just a wee reminder to anyone in the N.E of Scotland that I am available to clip small flocks throughout the summer. Any number is taken on from 1 to several thousand! I have both mains and battery powered systems so I can clip in the field as well as in a shed with power. I'm also happy to give any hits and tips I can think of if you decide to do your own so feel free to get in touch.
Cheers, Mark.

It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Shearing again!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 05:53:04 pm »
Did you forget me - still waiting  :excited:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 09:33:44 pm »
You've not been forgotten. The slaughterhouse finished a 10 days earlier this year and given the weather ewes with lamb at foot have been very very sticky to try and clip, just started ewes this week, they still ain't great due to the long winter. I will try and get to you, probably next week by the looks of things.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 10:06:33 pm »
That's great as some have more off than on - poor Dolly I had to butcher around her neck, she's a mega fleece and the moorits are looking like RSPCA cases - on the plus side all the wild birds have excellent nests - oh not here after mid next week RHS. If possible it would be great to see you before then
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 08:09:46 am »
That's great as some have more off than on - poor Dolly I had to butcher around her neck, she's a mega fleece and the moorits are looking like RSPCA cases - on the plus side all the wild birds have excellent nests - oh not here after mid next week RHS. If possible it would be great to see you before then

Ours are looking a mess too, one lost all her fleece nearly after stress of weakly lamb who wouldn't feed - stomach tubed and all good after a couple of days but mum got quite stressy. And a few others have been shedding in dribs and drabs so there's wool everywhere,  which is a pet hate of mine!

Will be glad when they are sheared and look all goaty and smart!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 08:59:13 am »
given the weather ewes with lamb at foot have been very very sticky to try and clip, just started ewes this week, they still ain't great due to the long winte

Could it be that ours and LaM's are primitives that the weather doesn't affect them as much as commercials - just thinking out loud?

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 11:45:32 pm »
Has much more to do with metabolic stress and nutrition through the winter months as well as breeding. I would expect primitives to shed their wool in most years if they are left long enough. Hill breeds tend to shed their wool as well, cheviots are notorious for it, but this is usually due to them being thinner in the run up to winter and wintered in areas where the climate is harsher i.e. the hills!! The usual low ground commercial will shed her wool but really only in execeptional circumstances.
Although a ewe can be shedding her wool this is not an indication of how ready she is to shear. It usually means that the new wool is starting to push through and grow but since you cut through that new wool you have to give it time to grow long enough otherwise the shearing becomes something of a tough slog!! I'm getting a lot of tough slog this year, I'm fed up of yellow, greasy, thin sticky sheep!! Just too long a winter, late grass growth and not enough heat yet. >:(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS