Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rams after shearing  (Read 1423 times)

Crazyhorse

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Near Llandovery
Rams after shearing
« on: June 22, 2013, 12:32:28 am »
We had our flock sheared today. The shearer advised that we keep the rams tight penned until they get used to each other again. It seems they lose all friendly scents after being sheared and have to get used to being together. The small pen ensures that they cannot charge at each other from any distance and hopefully cause no serious damage. They have been quite happy together in the same field up to now but I see what he means.

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
Re: Rams after shearing
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 07:02:57 am »
I had my mini flock of four Castlemilk Moorit ewes sheared on Thursday. When I put them back in their field they started to butt each other as if they were establishing a pecking order and were sniffing each other. Their lambs didn't seem to know who their mothers were and also went around sniffing all the ewes. I concluded that they had lost their usual smell along with the fleece. By next morning they were all back to their usual selves.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Rams after shearing
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 08:43:10 am »
Yes, my silly tups, who had been living perfectly peacefully together for months since tupping time, decided their field was full of interlopers who needed battering - ie each other - after shearing.

Took a day to calm down and it to dawn on them that these sleek strangers with the big heads, were their best mates  :D The lambs and ewes sorted it out a lot faster.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS