Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep that eats horse poo?  (Read 3019 times)

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
Sheep that eats horse poo?
« on: June 19, 2013, 12:08:01 pm »
OK, I'm learning that there are some gross aspects of sheep rearing (bum washing, dagging etc) but this is a new one. I have an elderly ewe who's pretty skinny and I supplement her forage as her teeth aren't great. I've spotted her eating muck from one of the ponies  :o is it likely to cause her any problems? Pony in question is a wild rescue pony - she's just on grass with a little garlic and linseed oil (i.e. no copper-based feed or supplements). Sheep and ponies get on fine, grazing and lying down together and I'd be a bit pushed to separate them, but could if necessary. Any thoughts gratefully received!
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Sheep that eats horse poo?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 12:16:33 pm »
maybe she has poor teeth due to age and is finding it easier to eat the undigested food present in horse poo. there is quite a bit of fibre there - compare it to cattle poo which is much more digested and sloppier as a result.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 02:46:38 pm »
Can't help on the pooeating, but my sheep do eat my horses tail!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 03:11:11 pm »
I agree with shygirl, she must be finding nutritional input there.  I guess you can either experiment with what you can feed her until she doesn't need the horse poo, or put up with it!   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 11:03:37 am »
Thanks folks - Shygirl - yes, her teeth are poor due to her age. When we asked the vet whether it was harmful to the dog for it to eat horse poo, he said 'No, it's just stewed greens!', so I'll assume it's not harmful to her. I will increase her mash supplement and see if she stops. Her breath is scarcely the most fragrant at the best of times but at the moment - Yewch!
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

petectid

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 09:06:40 am »
Our dogs eat it all the time, we just have to be careful they do not have any following the horses being wormed.  Which also brings to light that there could be a possibility of Tapeworm if the horses were not wormed.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 10:30:55 am »
Our dogs eat it all the time, we just have to be careful they do not have any following the horses being wormed.  Which also brings to light that there could be a possibility of Tapeworm if the horses were not wormed.

there are horsewormers that can kill a dog - whether that apiles to sheep i have no idea.
we had to have an old ewe pts as she had no teeth left, poor thing. she was awfully thin.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS