Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: your favourite annuals ?  (Read 3716 times)

Fanackapan

• Joined Jun 2013
    • Facebook
your favourite annuals ?
« on: June 28, 2013, 01:33:34 pm »
I love my planted containers, they bring colour when the rest of the garden is wanting a weeding and TLC.
This year leading the way, is as always, the pansies but I planted some mimulas too and they have been wonderful until yesterday when the rains battered them into submission. Just stating to flower are the geraniums followed closely by buds on the snap dragons, with a bowl of marigold waiting in the wings kept company by some garden pinks.
I love petunias and have a few but always get disappointed as I think their petals are to papery to withstand the West of Scotland wet but maybe they will get a dry summer and flourish :fc:. Stocks went in too butI find them short lived and a bit of a waste of time really.
What are your favourite container annuals ?

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: your favourite annuals ?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 01:38:17 pm »
Marigolds and nasturtiums, whether in containers or out of them - sun colours!

Fanackapan

• Joined Jun 2013
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 03:39:05 pm »
Marigolds and nasturtiums, whether in containers or out of them - sun colours!

Oh yes nasturtiums, plant them once and they are in your garden for life or at least the next generation of self seeded are.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 03:52:38 pm »
The self seeded ones always do a lot better than the ones I try to sow the next year... I use lobelia (only the dark blue) to set off the bright yellows and oranges.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 05:27:34 pm »
I was going to say Bunty or Princess then I realised you mean plants :thumbsup:
I love  nasturtiums, great in salads too, also love petunias once I bought a few plants and they went mad and filled a boarder with bright colours, love them and they tend to last!! Do you count Geraniums? I never manage to keep any for longer than a year...but they are so bright!!

Marlboro

• Joined Jan 2013
  • West Wales
  • 42 sheep, 5 ducks 10 chickens and Meg
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 05:36:19 pm »
Trailing lobelia allways seem to do well, I love cosmos, fills a good big space and lasts till the frosts, in kinder climes I grew a range of nicotania, the scent is superb and sylvestris is very stately. Still grappling with the clay here but it will improve with all the sheep litter from lambing. And keeping my chickens out while things are establishing :chook:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 06:02:42 pm »
Sweet peas.  This year I'm experimenting with a dwarf cerise variety as well as the usual tall varieties.  I just adore the scent.

I always try to grow giant sunflowers, but the wind gets them every time.

I grew cosmos this year and last to fill the gaps amongst the perennials in my new beds - very pretty and airily soft, but mostly I'm too lazy to do annuals. 
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 06:33:51 pm »
I love Sweet peas, pansy, viola & Livingston daisy . I was a bit late this year with my sweet peas but I have a few of the others. Next year my garden is going to be full of them. I've got some winter flowering pansys coming on at the moment.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 06:36:03 pm »
I've never had much luck with sweet peas, although I love them, too. Can't entirely blame the climate, as a friend of mine who doesn't live a million miles away grows them very successfully... But then, she has green fingers!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 09:12:10 pm »
There are loads I love and I too have never been able to grow sweet peas, they must be one of the prettiest flowers to put in a vase in a country kitchen and they smell so lovely.......also, never had luck with sun flowers, they grow then break before they get a good flower head......I want to try both again.
I know the names of flowers when I see them but otherwise cannot think of the names. I love stocks too, they smell lovely.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 09:15:41 pm »
When I saw the title to this thread my first thought was "the broons"
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 09:19:23 pm »
Stocks - glorious smell, especially in the evening
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 09:44:21 pm »
When I saw the title to this thread my first thought was "the broons"
:roflanim:  me too but Diana Annual etc..
I just love flowers in the garden, and hope one day to have loads to pick for the house..stocks smell so wonderful :thumbsup:

Fanackapan

• Joined Jun 2013
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 11:24:14 am »
OK OK not a great thread title BUT it is in the gardening section  :roflanim:

How did I forget sweet peas ( think its because I was looking at my pots when I was typing) grow them each year. How lovely is it in the morning to walk into a room which has a vase of sweet peas in overnight , gorgeous.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS