Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bale .moving  (Read 6668 times)

sugartown farm

• Joined Feb 2013
bale .moving
« on: February 25, 2013, 12:10:58 am »
Hi. Lasg yr I got a local contractor to cut and bale a field. He sent down his son to move the bales to the bottom of the field as he said my mf35 wouldn't manage to move the bales. Have you any ideas how I could handle these bales. Ive got a small trailerbut how could I load the bale into it. Is my mf35 too small?thanks.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
Re: bale .moving
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:22:58 am »
What size bale? A Heston, mini Heston, 2 stringer 3 stringer, round bales
What size trailer?
Is it a 4 wheel trailer?
What is the ground like?

I use a JCB with a flat 8 for 2 string or a spike for round bales, but sometimes just have to use strength and a strong pair of gloves.
Only problem with a MF 35 is nose weight but as long as front wheels on the ground it will pull a fair amount

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 11:22:54 am »
The trouble is that the big bales are so big these days that only a 4-wheel drive tractor can safely lift them.  The wee tractors can overbalance too easily - it's very dangerous.

If it's big round bales of hay (not wrapped), you may be able to move them with a back spike once they've dried a bit - they lose a lot of weight as they dry.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 11:12:31 am »
We went to buy some haylage the other day from a guy - who had no equipment.

Spent 3 hours trying to loads 2 bails onto a trailer - which in the end had to be done by borroing a neighbours manetoo

When we first arived he got his little two wheel drive out with a tiny link box on the back and pulled the bails off a huge pile with a rope then tries to get it on the link box - its was entertaining but the result was just one of (why I am entertaining this idea as its never going to work)

For big bales you need the right kit - even my case 4230 needs a big back weight for it to be stable to load and travel over rough ground.

I have a back spike for my international which seems to lift a bale OK - but again its a slow movement as it pops a wheelie going too fast and is very light on the front.  But then again the arms are pretty long on the International.

You can buy a front loader for the MF25 - and make a rear weight out of a couple of bits of metal and some concrete?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 11:41:05 am »
My 75hp 1976 John Deere 2030 copes with a round bale ok, we only have a pallet spike bucket where the two spikes Aren't very long so OH has to take a little run up :-) but it lifts and carries it fine. No dodgy moments so far!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 07:18:20 pm »
Our old grey fergie lifts big round bales of hay with no problem.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 07:03:10 am »
The chap who used to make hay in my fields used to turn up to collect 5' round bales just using a trailer with ramps. Him and his wife would just roll them up the ramp onto the trailer... And then some times from the trailer up more ramps to the back of their Land Rover. It was always quite funny to watch and I am certainly not recommending it.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 12:40:09 pm »
Some really good comments above, please be careful these things will kill you.

We use a JD3300 with a JD loader the attachemnts are bale grab, single spike, bale turner and a quad spike for lifting large hestions or 2 rounds. always use a rear weight.

The MF will take a loader and it will lift hay ok with a rear weight. dont try lifing silage or haylage as it will be too much weight.

Never rush ive seen too many tractors on their sides. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS