Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slow  (Read 1878 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Slow
« on: July 04, 2013, 10:35:46 am »
My veg plot seems to be very slow growing this year. Ground has been watered most days due to lack of rain. anyone else finding this. Also, can you help yourself to seaweed from the beach. Thought I would dig this in over the winter as a change from the horse muck

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Re: Slow
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 02:07:06 pm »
My veg patch is the same. But it had a late start due to cold .
 As for seaweed I don't know if you are aloud to take it. But I will be collecting some ( even if its under cover of night  :innocent: ). The only advice I can give you about it is either put it though a shredder if you have one ( don't know if a shredder/ chipper will work, never tried it ) before you put it on your beds. or after its been on the beds for the winter so all the goodness has seeped down into the soil take it off again. Don't try to dig it in if its still long and stingy , it's a nightmare . The year before last after the seaweed had sat on the beds for the winter I dug it in by hand ( well with a spade  :-J ) then went over it with my mantis tiller and I still couldn't chop the bloody stuff up  ::) .
 And just to state the obvious, collect the seaweed that is above the high tide mark  ;D .

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 06:24:46 pm »
If you leave the seaweed on top of the soil does it not dry out after a while ? At least I now know not to dig it in. I am only a  couple of miles from the beach and can use my old plastic feed bags to collect the stuff. Farmers round here get scallop shells by the lorry load and once broken get ploughed in.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 06:36:12 pm »
i wondered a while back if you could take shells etc from a beach to make into jewellery and i think i found that you can harvest between high and low tide quite legally. but dont quote me tho as i think there are rules etc.

found this... :thumbsup:
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Seaweed-in-the-Garden

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 10:48:27 pm »
From what I understand, the beach belongs to someone so taking anything from above the high tide mark without permission could be classed as stealing but not if you take from between the low and high tide marks.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 09:31:21 am »
below high to the belongs to the crown.  who does the upper land belong to? iv often wanted to take big lumps of firewood from our beach but havent darent as the car is parked by the village. theres a big strainer there at moment...would come in handy...
we have took seaweed by the bagful for feeding to livestock (rabbits/chickens etc) but always felt a bit shifty. iv always took the kids with me to use as an excuse  :roflanim: :roflanim:
would be good to find out the legalities.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 09:39:15 am by shygirl »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS