Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: mucky bum again!  (Read 3945 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
mucky bum again!
« on: June 03, 2013, 07:49:31 am »
Sorry for this first thing in the morning folks but I have 3 ryeland shearlings who have lambs, about 8 weeks old.  Wormed all mums after lambing with Oramec, then again 4 weeks ago and there is one who has a consistently greeny mucky bum.  It would be virtually impossible to get enough from her for a wec.   Had them sheared at the weekend and he said worm again.  This morning she is still the same.  Do you think it is just the green grass which we now have quite a bit of?  All lambs and other 2 are fine.

Should I try another wormer?

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: mucky bum again!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 09:32:58 am »
I think this is most likely to be the new grass and her being greedy!  Personally I wouldn't worm again in such a very short space of time.  Some do seem more susceptible than others to the squits at this time of year with the young grass to munch on.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 09:57:38 am »
I have a Ryeland who has a green bum also.  I am sure its the grass.  She is getting dagged and then shorn later today but other than that I am not worried about her.
Hopefully thats not just me being naive  :fc:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 11:44:29 am »
I've got one in my flock she's not got any worms, just being an individual.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 06:11:09 pm »
Ive got quite a few with green back ends at the mo - multiple FECs (scooped up from sloppy pankaces!!!) - no worms.   Hope its the same for you and that we all dry up soon, cause attempting to dag is no fun!!!!!!

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 07:40:30 pm »

Just spoke to the vet this morning about my  lambs they have mucky bums for a few days.   Now the hoggs too. All the sheep were wormed with Oramec 4weeks ago but the vet said there has been alot of sudden deaths due to nemotodisis this week due to the change in the weather  :sunshine: there has been a large worm hatch.

His advice was to not do FEC at the moment but to dose immediately.

Looking at the SCOPS and Nadis website they show the whole of the country is at the highest risk of nemotodis at the moment.
So it might be worthwhile worming again just incase  :fc: Going to try Rycoben as it doubles up as a fluke dose for later in the year, hopefully save some pennies  ;)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 06:22:08 am »
Interesting - so how soon after last worming could the burden build up again ie how long does the effect last/ how soon after last lot could you worm.  I Albexed my lambs  a week ago and no mucky lamb bums, but just wanted to know for info..

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 06:49:52 am »
I have an old ewe with lamb at foot with a constant drippy bum. she has been wormed, but as people have said, just an individual. Soon as the lamb is weaned, she will be leaving us though  :innocent:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 01:00:31 pm »

So it might be worthwhile worming again just incase  :fc: Going to try Rycoben as it doubles up as a fluke dose for later in the year, hopefully save some pennies  ;)
                                                                                                                                                             RYCOBEN is not suitable for a late summer /autumn treatment for fluke as it only kills adult flukes and it is   immatures that do the damage , late spring /early summer is the time to kill adults only

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 06:00:57 pm »

Don't worry Shep 53 I use all my doses on a rotation the Rycoben will come in handy then,
Don't know FiB I suppose it would have loads of variables, how heavily burdened the pasture is ect, weither you have different ground to move them onto, how many ewes are grazed if the pasture was used for lambs the previous year ect.

It just seems to be this week due to the heat that the worms have had a chance to hatch  >:(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS