Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How young before tupping?  (Read 1994 times)

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
How young before tupping?
« on: June 02, 2013, 04:07:43 pm »
 :wave:

We have a lovely ram lamb born this morning!  No photo's yet, but a balwen/torddu cross with black legs and coffee colour swirls.

We have been discussing getting rid of our current ram as he has a lot of bad habits.  Would this lamb be old enough to service 6 ewes in November?

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: How young before tupping?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 04:14:08 pm »
My castlemilk ram lamb did the job with 4 girls the year before last, and they lambs within 3 weeks of each other - so I would say yes which may be bad news for your old ram!!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 04:53:19 pm »
Yes 6 ewes would be ok , a young ram can get a bit put off if he's serving shearlings who won't stand for him, but older ewes tend to point the young ones in the right direction!
Saying that, some bolshy youngsters will have them all preggy in no time at all!!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 05:36:12 pm »
Lots to learn here - wouldn't it be a problem that he was related to the ewes?

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 06:12:20 pm »
 :wave:
He would only be related to one ewe.  As we haven't yet got confirmation that we can stay here for more than two years, I think buying a new ram in is an expense we don't need.

I'm hoping that if we get confirmation of the lease extension, we can then look at a registered tup next year and still have enough time to send this one off to slaughter (if needed)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS