Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to goats - trimming feet  (Read 3377 times)

pedigree porker

• Joined Feb 2010
New to goats - trimming feet
« on: May 28, 2013, 03:48:27 pm »
We are new to goats, we have had our Nanny and her kids for 5 weeks and I think her feet are ready to be trimmed. I have done some research, but think practical help and demonstration would be a good idea.

I don't want to have a go and hurt her.

Is there anybody in the Newark area who would give us some help???

Thanks

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: New to goats - trimming feet
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 04:16:40 pm »
Have you tried to find a local goat club?  I joined mine when I got my goats and have had lots of practical demos from members on all sorts of goat-keeping procedures.  Not sure how you find out about clubs - maybe through BGS?

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 04:43:05 pm »

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 07:19:48 pm »
I learned off YouTube but you can't beat being shown. Our one goat had a limp so took her to the vet and he gave her a trim..wasn't a foot problem but was good to see someone do it in person

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:22:37 pm »
Don't hold back when you're doing it and make sure you give them a good clean out around the rim. 

Make sure you use the right type of clippers too that makes a difference.

Have the blue Terramycin spray available from vets not the purple stuff you get from your local farm shop if there are any problem areas.  We spray regardless when we do it each month.

If you get a milking stand made up it will make your life SO much easier doing this monthly task and will make it much better for the goats too as they can chomp happily on their tea while you do it.  If you don't have one or don't have time to make one up, then buy a lamb adopter from your local fencing place (or off ebay) which will hold the goat in place while you do it.  You can tether them and try and do it but it's a hassle and you won't make nearly such a good job, unless they're very well behaved, which is unlikely  :innocent:

Don't get phased by it and let it put you off keeping goats, it gets easier the more you do it.

registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 09:41:36 pm »
What neat hooves that goat had. I wish my goats had hooves like that. It would make cutting so much easier.

Carl, I would have given you a lesson.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 10:22:58 am »
Meez thinks they doped the goat - if I tried to do it like that it would be tug of war  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 10:51:10 pm »
Mine are pretty good. Pom prefers to lie down to have hers done but Cloud stands fairly well.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 09:08:49 pm »
I started to do our lot today but my Arthritis got that bad in my hands I only got half of them done, will do the other half over the weekend
Graham

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 05:13:47 pm »
What perfectly shaped feet! maybe trimming regular from an early age keeps them nice, I wish my lot had such neat feet, hopefully the home grown girls will keep a good shape.  :)
One thing, I wouldn't lift their feet so high, there again, if working from a milking bench, it wold be easier, my milking bench is double pallet high, and goats are tied to the wall, just gives that extra bit of height.
Mine are usually quite good now, it was a battle at first till they found I wasn't giving in. using the bench I manage on my own.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS