Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tagging  (Read 2309 times)

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
Tagging
« on: May 27, 2013, 12:28:09 am »
Hi all bit confused with tagging a few  :sheep:. we brought some lambs a couple weeks ago but they only have a slaughter tag in, they are very basic just got the mans holding no so you couldnt really say that number 0010 had had drugs ect and the others not and it not electronic, how do i upgrade the ones we want to keep for breeding? Do i just order the Eid one and leave original one in?
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Tagging
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 08:50:35 am »
You'll need a set of numbered tags - however, I'm pretty sure that after a slaughter tagged sheep has left its holding of birth it cannot be double-tagged and retained under the current regs. Best to phone your particular animal health office and ask what course of action would be acceptable to them.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 01:20:17 pm »
Since you are in england you will be told that you cannot upgrade from a non eid tag to double tags ,no individual number!!!        Just thinking out loud , if the non eid tag was lost you could put in a RED eid slaughter tag then at a year old upgrade to RED double tags  :-J :raining:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 03:59:52 pm »
Since you are in england you will be told that you cannot upgrade from a non eid tag to double tags ,no individual number!!!        Just thinking out loud , if the non eid tag was lost you could put in a RED eid slaughter tag then at a year old upgrade to RED double tags  :-J :raining:

And sometimes they might tell you that they are happy for this to happen - or they might just tell you to double tag and make a note.....

As long as you consult them they are usually pretty happy to help you, in my experience.

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 10:32:45 pm »
Hi thanks all well get up there this morning and 2 of the 4 i want to keep have managed to rip them out  lol they are horrid tags. will give AH a call this week as got to order some tags for this years lambs anyway so can do all in 1 go.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 05:45:45 pm »
Hi Zarzar :wave: how did it go with Snells? 

Back to tagging - I just want to say that I phoned Shearwell tags at 1700 last Friday.  I apologised for ringing so late as the loffice was closing, but the lady processed my order and was so helpful.  The tags arrived on Weds morning plus a new, free tagger.  What service :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: !  The tags have needle sharp points and make small holes - would probably be suitable for any breeds with small ears.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 05:51:33 pm »
I have always used shearwell tags and found them excellent - it is possible to load them into the pliers with one finger when you get the knack which is damn useful when you have hold of a squirming lamb.

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 07:10:53 pm »
Hi yes boys killed out ok bit light like we expected but taste lovely, and all our girls from the captain where done with shearwell tags and they seem easy to put in ect and none of them have got theirs out like the others.
thanks for the help.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS