Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which sex  (Read 3338 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Which sex
« on: July 19, 2013, 04:35:51 pm »
we are going to be getting a new kitten this winter and i was wondering are cats better paired in opposite sexes like dogs are, or does it not matter?
our youngest cat is 4 and is a friendly neutered male. so would another neutered male or a neutered female be best to avoid any fighting.

our other cats are female but are very old so wont be a problem.

thanks

Torrin37

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Which sex
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 05:27:51 pm »
We got our fist kittens last year.  I asked the breeder if it mattered - 2 boys, 2 girls or 1 of each - and she said it really didn't matter, they would either get along or not.  So I picked 2 I really liked, a boy and a girl.

They get along really well, although as they get older they seem to be ignoring each other more!

Took them to the vet to get them done, turns out little Echo is actually a girl :D so I can happily say that 2 girls get along fine!!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 06:46:20 pm »
id rather have another boy as i think they are more thick skinned, and we are a noisy family. wev never had 2 boys together so didnt want any fights.
thanks

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 09:27:05 pm »
We've got two brothers who get on very well, but we have a male kitten who has upset the apple cart. The older cats now spend most of the day outside, only coming in to feed. The kitten goes into a cage overnight so everyone gets some peace!
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 03:14:36 pm »
If you're youngest cat is 4 I'd recommend getting 2 kittens. The 4 year old, although it seems young will likely get very annoyed with the kitten constantly wanting to play. Our 4 year old cat tried to move out when we got 2 new kittens and took a bit of convincing to get her to stay. Although the others are 2 years old now she still looks at them with slight disdain sometimes. Like a middleaged woman glaring at the antics of teenagers.

Have had a girl and a boy before and 2 girls, I think as long as you're getting them neutered it doesn't make much of a difference. The only difference I've noticed is the boys wander further even if they are neutered. They seem even par for hunting though.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 04:07:27 pm »
I think as long as you're getting them neutered it doesn't make much of a difference. The only difference I've noticed is the boys wander further even if they are neutered. They seem even par for hunting though.

This has been my experience too.  Also agree that the established adult cat(s) may not take too kindly to a lonesome kitten so getting a pair may be best.

The only other difference I'd expect is that girls seem more likely to bring their kill in alive as a present for you than to kill it and eat it.  But boys give away what they can't eat, and all of them bring things indoors  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 04:16:31 pm »

The only other difference I'd expect is that girls seem more likely to bring their kill in alive as a present for you than to kill it and eat it.  But boys give away what they can't eat, and all of them bring things indoors  ::)
Not if you change the door and don't put teh catflap back in!  :roflanim:  Foiled, Rio!  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 11:45:10 pm »
im mainly concerned with fighting as they are all well behaved at the moment. plenty of space for them all.
the 2 elderly cats are so deaf i dont think they are aware there are mice around, let alone hunt them  :roflanim:
i guess then aslong as they are all neutered which they will be) then it doesnt really matter if its a girl or boy.
ta

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS