Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: One problem sorted but a question about peeing in the arc?  (Read 3530 times)

caracroft

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Essex
  • 3 Saddlebacks and 12 Copper Black Chickens
    • Caras Croft Blog
One problem sorted but a question about peeing in the arc?
« on: June 04, 2013, 07:38:58 pm »
Hi,

My 3 weaners are now 9 1/2 weeks old. 

After being told that pigs keep their house clean, we had three naughty weaners messing in their house!!  We worked out the problem the house is so big for them at the moment that as far as they were concerned they were messing away from their bed.  So 4 straw bales later - they are restricted to a more cosy area - Voila!! no mess in the house hooray!!! :excited:

BUT - they still pee in their house during the night making their straw all wet.  I keep removing the wet straw every day and cleaning the house out hoping they will stop but every morning it is wet again.  Is this normal and am I being over worried about cleanliness or is it that due to mum dieing when they were still young they havent been taught to pee outside?

Thanks for any feedback

Cara   :pig: :pig:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: One problem sorted but a question about peeing in the arc?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:59:47 pm »
Could be more like they're just scared to go out in the dark, is it a steep step out for them? we sometimes use a timber sleeper or a paver set on blocks as a step for them, make sure they have a straw doormat outside the door too, it may also help when you take the wee straw out leave a bit outside the door and then they may get the idea to go outside.
hth
mandy :pig: 

caracroft

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Essex
    • Caras Croft Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:14:45 pm »
Thank you Mandy,
They go in and out the house during the day without issue and we have given them a straw doormat, we will try your idea of leaving wee straw outside though and perhaps they are scared of the dark!!!   Thanks again  :pig:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 12:34:15 pm »
Could try a head torch  :-J
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

caracroft

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Essex
    • Caras Croft Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 08:34:19 pm »
 :roflanim: Very funny!

Any other suggestions, please, Im desperate!!

Also, can I confirm  - this is not normal and needs sorting.

Thank you  :pig:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 08:47:41 pm »
You could try giving it a good clean with some disinfectant, which may help. Mine have only used the inside when the weather has been very wet and windy at night. I use a solution of disinfectant to wash it out.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 10:18:32 pm »
I'm not sure you will stop it. If they can smell wee in there they will keep doing it.  I was told to block the house door for an hour or two when weaners arrive so they relieve themselves first. That way they shouldn't mess inside.

You could always try Huggies pull-ups  :roflanim: :roflanim:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 10:35:03 pm »
If you do can we have a picture  :roflanim:

caracroft

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Essex
    • Caras Croft Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 09:18:09 am »
Ive cleaned it a couple of times with Jeyes Fluid to really get rid of any wee smells and left it blocked all day so they cant go in while it dries and still they wee in it at night!!

This is going to cost me a fortune in disinfectant  and straw !!!! 

:pig:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 10:36:40 am »
I personally wouldn't use Jeyes as it is phenol based and very toxic to cats if you have them. Try Trigene or Virkon both you can buy on the internet.

Do they get their evening meal early? if so perhaps you could try waking them up mid evening for a piece of fruit, it may encourage them to have a wee then.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 09:57:27 pm »
If they continue to pee in there just hang up some of those toilet blocks they throw in pub urinals. If wont cure them peeing but at least it will smell pine fresh......... Sorry I know no help what so ever.... I think all advice has been given just keep doing what you are doing and keep fingers crossed

caracroft

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Essex
    • Caras Croft Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 09:21:31 pm »
Hi again,

Thanks for the suggestion Eastling.  We cleaned the ark, again, and kept the pigs out of it all day and into the evening.  They had their evening meal at their usual time and then later on in the evening we found them asleep on some straw we had left outside the ark. we woke them and made them run around a bit hoping they would have a pee and then let them back in the ark...................... This morning the straw was all wet again!! :(

Does anyone think we should lock them out of the ark for a whole night so they get used to peeing outside in the dark, or would this be cruel?   :-\

Thanks   :pig:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 10:23:25 pm »
I would just leave them to it they will stop when they want to whatever you do, life is too short to worry.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 08:04:16 am »
Agree with BB they will eventually get the message  :fc:  I wouldn't lock them out all night

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 08:19:28 pm »
Can you clean the ark, spray something smelly like air freshener on the walls to mask the smell of urine then block off more of the ark so there's just enough room for them to lie down like sardines?   I put muck from their existing run or from another pig if it's new stock in the place I want them to use as a lavatory before I put pigs in a new run.  They seem to get the message.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS