Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Somerset  (Read 1259 times)

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
Hello from Somerset
« on: May 20, 2013, 10:05:58 pm »
Hello Everyone.
We've been having a great time looking at the site over the past few weeks and love the fact that everyone seems so friendly.
We are going to need all of the help that we can get.  We're moving to Caithness from Somerset in a few weeks time.  We will have nearly 10 acres and just don't know where to start as the possibilities are endless.  I know that we are going to make mistakes but I hope that we will have some happy successes too!  I'm currently a full-time artist and Ben is a civil engineer.  Luckily he's from a farming background but....I know nothing yet!  Reading all of the books and watching the DVD's are totally different to the real thing.  So please wish us luck.  We'd love to hear from anyone who wants to say hello.  Bye for now.  Ben and Cathy x

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Hello from Somerset
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:27:31 pm »
 :wave: and welcome, Ben and Cathy. You'll learn lots on here and can always ask for advice. We all do and the only silly question is the one you don't ask. I used to live in Somerset - Frome - but moved to Shropshire seven years ago.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 07:10:28 am »
Hello to you both - what an exciting time for you.  Can't wait to hear about how everything is going on your new venture.  Any ideas on what animals/breeds you are planning on purchasing? :excited:

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 07:24:13 pm »
Hello to you too - lovely to hear from you.
We are going to have to assess it all when we have moved.  Some years ago they kept Llamas, goats and pigs there.  Now it all needs some really good TLC and lots of hard work before we have anything!  We will definitely start with chickens though, and we're doing our homework re keeping goats or cattle.
Even locating suppliers is going to be a challenge as we won't know anyone in the area!
Any advice and help will be most welcome! :fc:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 09:03:40 am »
Hello and welcome from  :sunshine: Carnoustie  :wave:

Check out the Scottish Smallholder and Grower Festival on 28th September at Lanark Agricultural Centre  :thumbsup:

MischieMoo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Moray
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 09:47:48 pm »
Hello

I used to live in Wookey but now in Moray.  We have 5 acres and love it up here.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS