Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Piglets - swollen testicles  (Read 7593 times)

Clive

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Precious Porkers
    • Facebook
Piglets - swollen testicles
« on: May 20, 2013, 11:02:33 am »
Hi all. Our new piglets are now becoming very active, rushing around the pen and squabbling over the available teats. We have noticed that three of the seven boars have developed swellings around the scrotum so that they look like they have one oversized testicle. They appear quite unaffected otherwise apart from a slightly bandy gait in one instance! I thought it might be the result of their squabbling or being kicked but it seems strange that three of them are affected. The swelling is soft, not hardened.

Can anyone suggest what this is?

Clive

HappyHippy

Re: Piglets - swollen testicles
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 12:08:03 pm »
Hi Clive,
It sounds like it might be hernia's  :-\ Though it's quite unusal to have such a high percentage in one litter (even in Kunekunes where there is a much higher incidence of hernia's) They don't usually affect them when it comes to growing on for pork, but I wouldn't earmark any of the litter for future breeding (others might disagree)

We had a Kunekune boar with a suspected hernia (destined for meat) until someone came along looking for some pigs and Lumpy went along with them  :innocent: The new owners fell in love with him and decided to keep him and get a hernia repair and castration done by the vet.
On examination it turned out not to be a hernia after all, but an underdeveloped testical on one side and fluid in the other (I think, my memory isn't the best  ;)) but it definately wasn't a hernia in that case.

Have they been getting picked up and handled a lot ?
What breed and age are they ?

Karen

Clive

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Precious Porkers
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 12:38:15 pm »
Thanks Karen.
They are OSB piglets, two weeks old. I have picked the odd one up when mum allowed but the only time they were all handled was when we notched their ears at a few days old.

Clive

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 03:51:32 pm »
I'm a bit stumped :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Some folk think picking them up by the back leg(s) or increased handling can increase the chance of hernia's - but we've not noticed a difference one way or the other with any of ours  :-\

I'm not really sure what to suggest  ???
(If it was me) I'd be tempted to get a vet to check them over and assertain whether it is hernia's or not.
Then I think I'd definately be checking the pedigrees of both parents to make sure they've no inbreeding in their history, maybe try to get hold of someone who has litter mates of both the mum and dad to see if they've had similar problems (you should be able to trace them quite easily through the BPA herdbook  ;))
Finally, have a word with either of the OSB breed reps and see if they can offer suggestions or throw any light on it for you.

Hopefully someone else will be along soon with their thoughts too.
Keep us posted though please.
Karen  :wave:

Clive

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Precious Porkers
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 07:59:08 pm »
Vet is coming out tomorrow so I will let you know  :)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:24:14 pm »
one of our first weaners only had one dropped ball so he looked lop-sided. have they got 2 there?

Clive

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Precious Porkers
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 09:57:56 am »
OK so we had the vet out yesterday to take a look. He diagnosed scrotal hernias and confirmed that it is extremely unusual to have four out of seven boars affected. It looks like the condition has a large genetic element and so we have decided to try a new boar line next time and certainly wont be selling any of this litter on for breeding.
On the plus side, provided there are no complications, they will be fine for meat production so we just need to keep an eye on them. Its a bit of a disappointing start but worse things happen at sea!

Clive

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 12:32:55 pm »
Thanks for posting Clive  :thumbsup:
Hope they all get on fine and your future litters aren't affected  :fc:

I understand your dissappointment, especially when you've put all the time and care into the sow, but at least you've still got her and her litter and that's the most important thing  :thumbsup:
Karen  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS