Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hardening off and cloches  (Read 3954 times)

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
Hardening off and cloches
« on: May 17, 2013, 09:49:41 am »
Still not got anything in the ground yet, so was wondering do you need to harden off plants (brassicas/beans) if they are transplanted under cloches?

I am away in a weeks time so the normal 2 week process is not going to work for me.

Many thanks

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Hardening off and cloches
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 12:13:52 pm »
I know I should, but I never harden off my beans.  Straight from the greenhouse to the ground, no cloches, no nothing.  You shouldbe OK given my track history - never lost beans when they've been treated so poorly!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 06:55:53 pm »
Last year  hardened my beans off for a week then left them out overnight. We had a frost and I lost the lot. All 110 of them.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 11:26:50 pm »
Last year  hardened my beans off for a week then left them out overnight. We had a frost and I lost the lot. All 110 of them.

:( :( :(    :'(

Frost can go on into June in many places - broad beans and peas will be ok but runners and French beans won't.

I harden my young plants off against the wind rather than the cold.  It takes them a good couple of weeks to toughen up the leaves against wind.   So on that basis, putting them out under a cloche should be ok, but if the weather is very sunny then they will frazzle anyway if you're not there to keep an eye on them.  Is there someone who would come and open the mini tunnel in the day if it becomes very hot whilst you are away, and who would make sure all was shut at night, Floyd?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 06:47:27 pm »
There are various sites on line where you can find your average last frost date on  for almost anywhere in the world .. here my LFD is 29 May that has frost .
 This year being a cooler one it may well be an actual 4 June. for my LFD .

I've purchased several cheap roll of garden fleece just incase the forecasts shows 4 oC as frost damage starts to occur in tender plants at 5 oC and at 3oC when ice crystals start to form individually it damages tender plant cells usually killing them rather than holding them back f or afew days

We live on a hill so we tend to get things a tad cooler than the forecasts indicate.
 All my tender plants are going out on Bank Holiday  Monday 27 May

International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 10:07:21 pm »
frost damage starts to occur in tender plants at 5 oC and at 3oC when ice crystals start to form individually it damages tender plant cells usually killing them rather than holding them back f or afew days

That's worth knowing, Plantoid, thanks.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 12:17:05 am »
I was always told not to plant out any tender plants until the last full moon in may and apart from a late june frost have usually been safe
Ian

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 08:31:13 am »
Thanks for your replies.  It is no longer a problem, everything is back into the Polytunnel as temperature has dropped rapidly including a massive hail storm last night.

Just hope the climbing beans dont get to tied together.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 09:33:47 am »
What happens to beans in the wild? Do they die back to the roots like some other plants and come back again?
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Marlboro

• Joined Jan 2013
  • West Wales
  • 42 sheep, 5 ducks 10 chickens and Meg
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 07:14:41 pm »
No beans just die, well they are perrenials in thier normal habitat but I have tried binging them through in the greenhouse, didn't work. I have had to cover mine the last three nights and lost one due to the wind blowing the cover up, only dropped to 3 degrees, still looking very sick. Should have kept them indoors another week.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS