Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polly's new companions  (Read 2882 times)

HappyHippy

Polly's new companions
« on: May 19, 2013, 03:03:03 pm »
So, after Polly's (Shetland pony) limbo dancing under fences escapades to get to our neighbours ponies we found her a couple of companions. They arrived last week (in between Kaitlin coming out of hospital on Saturday, then having to be re-admitted on Wednesday  :'() so now that it looks like we're home for good  :fc: I'm getting a chance to post these photo's here (apologies facebookers, you'll have seen these already  ;))
They've been kept seperate from Polly since they arrived (much to her disgust  ::)) she's been trying to climb the gate to get in beside them  ::) :love: so this afternoon I plan on haltering them all up and walking them down to the big field for their first proper introduction  :excited: :excited: :excited:
Both boys are geldings and great to work with. Before they arrived I was all about the donkey (I'd been led to believe that Spud was quite bitey and a bit kicky) but I have to say that I'm completely in love with the wee fella - he's such a sweetheart  :love: He suffers from cushings disease (we have his medication) and is at least 30 years old but he's bright and happy, Murphy is believed to be the same age.

I'm also looking for a bit of advice in regard to drawing up a 'health plan' for them all please (I have one for the pigs but feel a bit lost in the equine world) so if anyone can give me advice about worming, parasite control and vaccinations (how often and some names of meds) that would be great  :thumbsup:
I've been looking on-line, but it seems to mainly relate to brood mares and show horses. These guys won't be out and about at shows or with other equines, Polly won't be getting bred from again - they are purely 'pets' who are here to live out the rest of their days in peace and quiet, so your input would be appreciated as to what's best for them in this situation :-*

I'll get some more and better photo's on soon, once Spud is cleaned up a bit  :-\ He's really manky and quite matted - do you think clipping would be a better option than trying to wash and brush him  ??? He also has some bald patches on his sides (some have little scabs in the middle of them, but some don't) He's been rugged all winter - if that's relevant  :thinking: Murphy's coat is in excellent condition and they've been kept up to date with worming & parasite control as far as I know - is it just his age that could be causing this ?

Sorry for all the questions !
Karen x

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Polly's new companions
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 03:51:57 pm »
They are  :love: !!!

I would clip out the wee one with the many coat, you will be able to see and treat whatever it is much more easily and the oldies often don't drop the coat well esp if cushings involved. If you want to get the other one tested for cushings then there is a scheme until the end of June where only the vet fee is charged, no lab fees, for cushings tests. Once clipped, try diluted hibi scrub on the scabby bits for a bit and see if they clear up - if not there might be more to do treatment wise.

Worming wise you can use worm counts And observation for worms except encysted redworm and tapeworm. (Tapeworm can be blood tested for (the ELISA test), but if you don't want to go that route, worm for it) The encysted wormer would normally given in the dormant winter months but the tape wormer is spring and autumn so you could do the spring one now. As they are oldies and new to you/ stressful new surroundings I would maybe use Equitape for the tapeworm and then if they are all ok, maybe Equest a few weeks later to try to pick up any encysted (it also does a lot of other worm types). If you are concerned about any of them then use panacur instead of Equest, it is gentler. Not quite so effective but safer if any are a bit fragile. Once they have been wormed, turn them out on the old ground for approx 2 weeks so any wormer resistant worms breed with non resistant ones, and then move them to fresh ground - this will avoid introducing 100% resistant worms onto the fresh ground.

Uunless they or any horses they are in contact with go out and about and meeting other horses, the only essential vaccination would be tetanus every two years, tho if they are new to you I would get it done ASAP unless you are sure they have had it. Flu vac is important for horses mixing with others, but it can have rare side effects so do that if it's appropriate. It is an annual vacc.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 08:43:10 pm »
We worm for tapeworm in the autumn routinely and worm test in spring but we've never had to worm then.

Tetanus every two years - ours don't go anywhere so no need for flu.

Teeth done every year.

Hoof trimmer every six weeks (my two are unshod as is Sheba)

I put on some Coopers Spot on every six weeks in summer (cattle dose for big ponies and sheep dose for Bug).

Think that's it.

Oh, and constant diet  :innocent:

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 02:50:58 pm »
Cushings does cause coat problems, retention of winter coat and curling, so I'd probably go with a clip if he isn't traumatised by it, maybe try a "gut and gullet" clip first to see how he gets on as oldies can also have problems holding weight so it will be a balancing act to get to know what suits him best.

Tetanus boosters now available in doses that last 3 years, worth checking with your vets - I've been switching mine over as their updates come due.  Flu is a waste of time for what you have/want of them.  All vaccs will be in their passports and you need to keep that updated.

I get unshod feet trimmed every 8 weeks, farrier comes monthly and does half each time.   Cushings and laminitis go together tho so you'll need to watch and may need more frequent checks and trims for him.

Worming - if you don't know the history, be very cautious about your first worming as mass parasite death can cause colic and all sorts, go gentle with their digestive systems while new to you as moving stress can also be a colic risk.  It would be worthwhile sending dung samples to the like of Westgate Labs to get a worm count before starting, but look at a spring and autumn tapeworm treatment and a Jan/Feb encysted redworm treatment as staples and in between go for further wormcounts to keep you right on when else you need to worm.  Gillian at Westgate is a Highland owner and very helpful if you want someone to keep you right, as they even send reminders every 3 months to prompt another test but don't mind if you ignore it and don't hassle you for business :)

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS