Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Probably a daft question about acreage  (Read 6506 times)

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Probably a daft question about acreage
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 02:05:32 pm »
IMO, you can keep 1.5 sheep/ac in winter and 3ish (maybe squeeze a few more on) with lambs at foot in summer. Any more than that and you are going to be having to buy in feed (I'm pretty sure hay alone won't do sheep over the winter - even I give buckets when I give hay) and feed is expenisve now.

scarlettoara

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 04:49:19 pm »
we are in a similar situation. i have 60 acres of woodland and rough grazing and are planning on moving soon. one place im considering is the same size but proper grass and barley. knowing how to seed, cut and plough is the scary bit, plus the cost of the machinery needed. or do you buy and presume other farmers will help you?

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 06:00:10 pm »
we are in a similar situation. i have 60 acres of woodland and rough grazing and are planning on moving soon. one place im considering is the same size but proper grass and barley. knowing how to seed, cut and plough is the scary bit, plus the cost of the machinery needed. or do you buy and presume other farmers will help you?

wow - a lot of acres!  I have found that there are a lot of farmers that also contract - so there shouldnt be any trouble getting most tasks done  - but you might be last in the queue... so I can imagine one ruined hay crop and you would be buying some of your own stuff (but by then you'd know more about what you want/dont want, so win win).  We havnt had a prob yet  in 3 years (just hay, fertilising, liming and reseeding pasture) which is just as well as there is NO chance of us justifying a tractor and all the bits with our acreage!

scarlettoara

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 07:12:50 pm »
we have had hay cut here but by the time the contractor turned up the grass was lying flat and the hay was terrible. also the labour cost was 50% of the cost of the best hay. but hay has gone up in price here from £10 to £35 a bale over last 10yrs. 

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 07:49:45 pm »
Thanks again everyone, this really is a difficult thing to get started with so many unknowns.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 09:09:42 pm »
with your wish list I would say get as many (decent) acres as possible; anything you don't initially use can always be rented out to local sheepy people. We have near enough 10 acres, and in the last three years we've grown and grown to the point now that we're in need of extra grazing - it's just getting the local lads to accept the 'new kid' and give him a bit of a chance!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS