Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is she or isn't she.......  (Read 1487 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Is she or isn't she.......
« on: May 08, 2013, 10:48:47 am »
All of our lambing is done, or is it.

This one ewe aborted last year, this year she looked in lamb (not scanned), but still hasn't produced. We are now doing the backwards count to when the ram went, but in the meantime she's out there with the new mums and lambs getting access to the hard feed and loving it.

So - what to do for the best:

Leave her in there, but if not in lamb she will just get obese.
or
Put her in the adjacent field with the wether and last years lambs where there is no hard feed, and let her lamb in there (if she does).

Problem is, if she is in lamb, she needs the grub?

???

Seeing as she aborted last year, I'm wondering if she might be barren. It was her first year tupped, so no lambing history.
---------------------

If not in lamb I'm inclined to let her go, what's your opinions guys? If she doesn't lamb this year, give her another try (3rd attempt) next year or not?

:sheep: 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:51:40 am by OhLaLa »

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Is she or isn't she.......
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 11:37:11 am »
We are in much the same position. First timer lamber last year. She gave birth to a lamb, found on the field, dead and still in its bag. Could have been a week or so early but not sure as the tup wasn't raddled. Has run with the tup this year but not produced yet. Finished lambing other ewes yesterday. She didn't look to be in lamb ..... not rounded and no udder development visible.

She is in with the ewes and their lambs and is now starting to look a little "plump".  ???  However, still no bag. We think she is just gaining condition as our grass is starting to grow. We are still feeding a small quantity of coarse mix to the ewes but will probably stop soon  .... they dashed for it last night but then wandered off without eating much so I guess they no longer need it.

If a ewe loses a lamb, do you think she is more likely to be barren from then on?  :-\

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 11:44:51 am »
does she really need the grub? if you have grass a plenty surely she can manage to carry a pregnancy without extra supplement?
Personally she would be out at grass and taking her chances but then maybe i think too much like a primitive breed sheep owner.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 12:14:35 pm »
I agree that once there is grass, she should manage on grass alone - but you don't want to suddenly cut rations in a very pregnant animal :o so most of us would feed on until lambing and, if twins, a little longer, now she's got this far.

Since you think she may be barren, I would check her udder first.  With her history, any udder development = in lamb.  No udder development just means not going to lamb in the next few days, so then I'd palpate her belly.  Keep her in overnight without much to eat so she isn't stuffed full of grass or hay to make it easier to check.;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 12:38:51 pm »
In both cases if the sheep are only carrying a single lamb  over feeding will cause a large lamb which she may have problems with , non of my singles still to lamb are getting feed and the twins only a tiny amount

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 01:15:28 pm »
Catch her and see if there is any udder, if not then gently squeeze a teat, if she's in lamb there will be a small amount of sticky stuff in there. Or just gently knock her belly in front of her udder, you should feel if there's a big lamb.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS