Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: very watery diarrhoea in ewe with 1 1/2 week old lamb at foot.  (Read 3372 times)

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
friends ewe with nearly 2 week old lamb as foot has today developed very watery diarrhoea and is drinking a lot more than usual.unknown worm /vac status as not long got in.
any ideas what it may be.we've stopped pellet feed and just giving grass/hay.
she seems fairly bright still but its very watery liquid poo coming out frequently.

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: very watery diarrhoea in ewe with 1 1/2 week old lamb at foot.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 07:38:30 pm »
2 questions, has she been wormed recently, and has she been moved to fresh spring pasture recently?

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 10:08:20 pm »
not been wormed as far as we know and not moved to new pasture.we have albendazole wormer here we can give her.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 05:59:30 am »
Depending on the area she's from, it could be fluke too.

Try worming her, if she's from a flukey area I'd fluke her too.  A good mineral drench would do her no harm too.

Not sure I'd stop the cake - she needs feed to make milk and the diarrhoea will take even more out of her.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 07:20:06 am »
I agree with Sally, the extra cake will do her good. And treating for fluke wouldn't be a bad idea too. I use combinex wormer/flukicide. Just make sure you give enough in the correct dose, whatever you use.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 10:03:39 pm »
Make sure she has plenty of electolyte salts /access to salt lick whilst she gets over this. She may also need AB treatment.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS