Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Freesias  (Read 1656 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Freesias
« on: July 20, 2013, 12:19:44 am »
OK, I love freesias but I cannot grow them - whatever I do! I've bought the bulbs and they've rarely even germinated, whether in pots or in the ground. This year I got plug plants from T&M (grown from seed - according to them even easier to grow on) but whilst some are still alive, they've failed to thrive. I got them in early spring so they were in pots in the 'greenhouse', then since the frost risk passed they've been outside and since they were looking so unhappy, I've planted some out into a sunny bed but with plenty of water from the hosepipe through this hot spell.

So how do I get freesias to flower? I should say I tried in Switzerland too where the climate is much better but even then they were a dead loss;

Thanks for any pointers!

Hester

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Freesias
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 11:35:05 am »
I can't help because I can't grow them either  :roflanim:   They don't like anything I try.   I've decided just to admire them from afar  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 12:55:34 pm »
I'm just the same. Love the flowers and their scent but have never been able to grow them. Apparently they grow well on Guernsey. Perhaps they need that sort of climate?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 11:16:58 pm »
Well I think they've all failed dismally. They were all looking quite sad in the pots (thought one lot had suddenly improved until I looked closely and realised it was a bunch of grass that had self seeded  ;D) so I planted them out into sunny borders. All looking even sadder/dead now. No idea, really. It's been great weather, they've been watered regularly, I'm completely at a loss!

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS