Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep kicked what are signs of internal damage..?  (Read 2801 times)

GaddesdenGal

• Joined Jan 2013
  • East Hertfordshire
Sheep kicked what are signs of internal damage..?
« on: May 10, 2013, 06:44:30 am »
I did my last check on my girls about 10 last night and one of the friendliest dominant ones was limping and kept circling and sitting down looking extremely sorry for herself with big scared eyes and head on the floor (although she would take food). I picked her up on to her feet and checked her over and she seems very tender on her back left hip and leg. I think she must have been kicked by a horse (they can access 4 pony paddocks and do sometimes go and say hello under the wires) she's up and eating this morning and the vet is coming tonight anyway for routine jabs - just wondered if anyone had any experience of the signs of internal damage - is there anything I should be looking out for especially?
Thank you.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Sheep kicked what are signs of internal damage..?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 10:36:37 am »
Best thing is to let the vet have a look at her when he turns up later. Get him to take a look before he does the horse jabs. In the meantime pop her somewhere where she can rest up.

I've said many times sheep should not be allowed into the same fields as horses as this can, and does, happen. I hope you will put up some fencing on the sheep side to prevent them getting in with the horses again.

I hope she is ok, best wishes for her.
 :sheep:

GaddesdenGal

• Joined Jan 2013
  • East Hertfordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 11:26:00 am »
Thank you - thanks for the advice. Yes think we be re-evaluating boundaries now.

Alicenz

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 09:57:46 am »
Hi how is your ewe going?

GaddesdenGal

• Joined Jan 2013
  • East Hertfordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 07:12:26 pm »
Hi, thank you for asking - she's ok.

She was still a bit limpy when the vet checked her over but they said her leg joints, hip and spine were ok and it was most likely bruising and shock. She's back on form now, and her limp has gone although she still isn't running as fast as the others when they pelt towards me.

Lesson learnt here, we've been lucky it wasn't more serious. There have been two new horses come to the yard so heightened paddock tensions, I should have been more diligent.

Alicenz

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 12:54:53 am »
Fabulous nice to know all has gone well, great you got the vet to check.:)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS