Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spending time with a new breed?  (Read 2065 times)

Cactus

• Joined May 2013
Spending time with a new breed?
« on: May 13, 2013, 11:22:21 am »
I've mentioned in my intro post that we're hoping to take the plunge into sheep in the not too distant future, probably starting with Greyface Dartmoors. We currently live in Surrey but will be going to the Cornwood region of Dartmoor this summer for a bit of geneaology and I'm wondering if it'd be a good idea to take the opportunity to seek out a patient GFD owner to spend an hour or two with the breed, make sure they're right for us etc. Is this a good idea or overkill/waste of everyone's time?

Ta :wave:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Spending time with a new breed?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 11:29:25 am »
Good idea! (assuming you can find a willing victim! ;D )   If you can find someone who has a selection of breeds even better, as it'll be easier to highlight the pros and cons if you have something to compare with :).

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 11:40:32 am »
I suggest reading Tim Tyne's sheep book before you go, so you can ask sensible questions about matters you find puzzling.   Hanging around the sheep lines at smaller country shows can also result in interesting conversations and maybe contacts.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 11:54:34 am »
 :wave: You are very welcome to call in here on your way to Dartmoor.  I have 6 GFD breeding ewes, their 10 lambs and 3 shearling ewes (for sale).  And a whole bunch of Shetlands ;D ;D

Cactus

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 11:59:26 am »
Thanks everyone :)

Finding a willing victim is tricky...and really wouldn't want to inconvience anyone either.

I'll search out Tim Tyne's book - and any other recommendations. We're off to the Surrey County Show at the end of the month so hopefully there'll be some there too.

Bramblecot - I may well take you up on that offer! That would be superb, thank you!

steve_pr

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire Borders
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 05:38:01 pm »
We started with GFDs last year (our first sheep or anything else for that matter!) so have been through the start of the steep learning curve (our neighbours say it gets easier after the first 25 years!). What with the worst winter in living memory (hurray - we FINALLY have grass - in MAY) it has been an interesting time, but happy to share with you.

We are in wonderful West Wales (edge of Pembrokeshire) if you fancy an alternative trip than the West Country. We currently have 32 GFD ewes, 9 yearlings and this years lambs (38 in all) along with our two rams.  We are getting rid of stock (as soon as they put on a bit more condition) so we could fix you up with a starter flock if you were interested.

Steve

Cactus

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 07:56:32 pm »
Steve,

Many thanks for the reply! We have to move house before we'll be in a position to search out grazing let alone start looking for flocks unfortunately :( But if you're still going when we're ready I'll drop you a line and see if you have anything available...can't come soon enough for me!

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 04:48:39 pm »
Try and start out with a list of things that you want from your sheep, meat, easy care, rare breed, non shear, horned or polled, riduculesly cute etc. Then go along to one of the big regional shows or national smallholder shows and chat to the breeders and tick off the breeds against your list. Be warned however we all love our chosen breeds very much and believe they are the best. We are also on a mission to get other people to share our enthusiasm especially if we have stock to sell.
Think a little about the land you have and the weather in your part of the country as well as the locality of other breeders, breed clubs and show classes for your breed if you intend to show. Find a breeder locally if you can who will offer support an advice as well as links to other breeders.
Or you could choose a breed that you love and then be blind to any of its short commings. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS