Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep turnover crate  (Read 4915 times)

Ruth

• Joined Sep 2013
Sheep turnover crate
« on: September 28, 2013, 04:40:31 pm »
Hi

I am currently looking for a sheep turnover crate as I am not strong enough to tip my sheep.  Preferably one that's not to expensive as I am in Northern Ireland.

Any suggestions on how I could tip my sheep any easier would be greatly appreciated as well.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Sheep turnover crate
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 05:59:06 pm »
I believe its not all about strength but the method of which you do it.

Our vet who is a small woman can turn one of our big dairy cows on her own with a piece of rope... I cant explain how to turn a sheep over without confusing you!

Someone will help i'm sure :)

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 10:14:52 pm »
how many ewes have you and what are the breed?
Sheep

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 09:48:01 pm »
Its a technique---the lass that helps me is maybe 60kg and can throw a mature charollais ram easily

Grab the sheep by the head, turn the head and apply pressure --it will fall. See the video link below

once you get the knack you will be away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apEhZ1sO9lc

chonty

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 10:53:36 pm »
Blimey that video makes it look super easy!

Well I manage but there is a technique. I grab sheeps mouth with one hand thumb in mouth (behind teeth!) turn head back on the sheep put other hand and apply pressure to the hollow in front of hind leg and down they go.

You do a bit of dancing with them till you get the hang of it mind!

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 11:24:38 pm »
as chonty says but also if you have your leg against their back leg they will lean against it... then take your leg away and down they go
Ian

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 01:54:09 am »
It doesn't work for us with horned sheep.  You can't get the head round far enough before the horns (on tups) bump into their sides and they just don't go down.  Plenty of dancing then, so my OH just picks them up below their forelegs, pushes their back legs forwards and dumps them on their bottoms.   No good if you're small or weak, and certainly no good if your tups are hefty.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 08:38:46 am »
Fleece wife, we don't have horns here but my OH does much the same as yours. We have tryed turning bottoms and heads together, al la Tim Tyne, but can't quite get the hang of it  :(
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:39:44 am by Bionic »
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

chonty

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 10:18:25 am »
Blimey Fleecewife I dont fancy having to do that! Ive got whitefaced woodies so horned...but a ram lamb at the moment so horns not an issue...yet. Im actually currently training him to pick his feet up for me etc as I was a bit concerned whether I would manage a fully horned potentially 130kg animal!

He is very quite at the moment, and I am trying to tread very carefully to not make him 'too friendly'. Most of my experience is with small texel and suffolk tups so well see how i get on.

Ruth, I hope you have found all this information useful, it really is a matter of having a go! Is there anybody near you who can show you?

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 10:38:53 am »
Try this method Ruth, I'm riddled with arthritis and getting steadily weaker but I can still sit an obstinate tup on his beam end, it's all about technique. I can hang onto a sheep with one hand whilst doing something else with the other
First you need the head hold; thumb in the mouth across the gap between the front and back teeth and fingers under the chin ..... in fact save me typing it all out just read this as it has a photo too.
http://theroundhouse.freeforums.org/something-handy-to-know-about-handling-sheep-t393.html
Hope it helps a bit :)
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Hannes

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • Loch Arthur and their animals
    • Loch Arthur Farms
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 08:27:17 pm »
Ruth, i have sent You a message...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS