Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advise needed after losing one of a pair of much loved Pygmy Goats  (Read 6887 times)

Bbanks99

• Joined May 2013
:goat:
One of my much loved Pygmy Goats has died after 12 years. We are all very sad but worried about his remaining brother. The two were devoted to each other and even at 12 years old were very lively and playful.
I'm not sure how I can best help the remaining one. At the moment he is very confused and calling for his friend.
Should I get him a new mate, although it obviously wouldn't be wise to get a youngster. Should I find a sanctuary so he would have the company of others or is he too and too set in his ways for this.
Or should I just wait and see if he settles down.
It was heartbreaking to loose our little "Ollie" and equally heartbreaking to watch the other who misses him too.
Any advice would be welcome

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Advise needed after losing one of a pair of much loved Pygmy Goats
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:27:13 pm »
Hello and welcome, sorry to hear of your sad news, I don't know what to advise for the best, I would give it a few days to see if the goat settles down, I lost one last year that had a twisted gut and she was a twin and the vet advised that the twin who was terrible protective of her saw her once she had died because apparently he would know she had gone! He did settle after a few days but then I had other goats. Do you have any other livestock?

Also if he has no one to snuggle up to might be worth some extra straw to keep him cosy,

Mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Bbanks99

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 11:10:58 pm »
Thanks for your reply and words of comfort. Over the years my two Pigmys have had companions of ponies,a pot belly pig, chickens,ducks, and several cats. They all seemed very happy together, the goats sheltering under the ponies in the rain and sleeping on top of the pig in her shed at night.
Most were initially pets for my daughter and now she is married and moved away, I am a little reluctant to increase the animal collection. However, if I felt it was the right thing to do, I would consider getting another goat for the remaining one, although I do find it increasingly harder to cope with the loss of a pet.
I have made a deep soft bed of straw for the lonely one and thought about giving him a cuddly toy - but then he'd probably eat it !

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 11:16:29 pm »
sorry for your loss  :bouquet: I would be tempted to get another goat for company.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 07:17:04 am »
Maybe you could contact a sanctuary and see if they would consider 'lending' you a companion? They would benefit from not having to house and feed it for a while and it would get a good home. This might be better than getting another goat yourself. Unfortunately, your remaining goat is getting on in years so you might find yourself in the same position in a few years when he moves on if you were to buy another goat. You could arrange with the sanctuary to give the companion goat back when your old boy passes away.  :bouquet:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 10:55:15 am »
Sorry about your loss.Some years ago ....goodness, when the foot mouth hit .....my twin British Alpine was left alone after the death of her sibling.  They had been together years too.  Because she had seen the dead goat,she appeared to accept  things.  I could not get another goat because of the F & M restrictions.  She went out in the field with little pony during the day, and lived another year.

In your case, you need to think if you want to carry on keeping goats when you one eventually dies.  I think the idea of getting one from a sanctuary (maybe an older goat)  is maybe the best one, and I am sure they would be  happy  to take it back when the time comes (ifit outlives yours ofcourse!)

Bbanks99

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 10:36:42 pm »
Thank you all for your helpful advise. I think your suggestions of contacting a sanctuary for a companion for our lonely chap is a possible solution.
 I will see if there is a possible sanctuary nearby that can help.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 10:42:11 pm by Bbanks99 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS