Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 'Dubbing' cockerals??!  (Read 2588 times)

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
'Dubbing' cockerals??!
« on: May 08, 2013, 01:06:58 pm »
Until today I had never heard of 'Dubbing' but I got my monthly country smallholding mag today and just started to have a read. Tim Tyne's best breeds page features Old English Game bantams this month and the following is a quote from the article:

'Although I no longer keep OEG bantams I did enjoy breeding and showing them, but the fact that the cockerels need to be 'dubbed' (ie have their comb and wattles cut off) for exhibition purposes is a bit off-putting. In an era when we no longer dock dogs' tails or crop their ears, I'm surprised that this barbaric practice is still tolerated.'

I was in total shock after reading this. I'm sorry but why, why, why would anyone mutilate their poultry like this and why is it required by the show judges? I am, frankly, appalled. I never heard of this practice before and am so shocked that people actually HAVE to do this if they want to show their birds!

Is there some point that I am missing here? To me it sounds like a heinous act but maybe there is a good reason that I dont have a concept of? 

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: 'Dubbing' cockerals??!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 01:22:24 pm »
It sounds barbaric to me. Along with things like clipping piglets teeth and suchlike. I do know that in the old days they used to remove the combs from fighting cocks so it probably goes back to that. Shouldn't be allowed is my opinion.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 01:34:17 pm »
 :o :o :o

Had heard of it eg. fighting cocks, also to prevent frost damage and so on, but would never have believed that it was still allowed legally. Thought it was a practise from the past.

Horrid  :rant:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 01:45:35 pm »
Wikipedia says

The Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966 (Schedule 3 Amendment) Order 1988 (SI 1988 No. 526) permits only a veterinary surgeon to remove the combs of a domestic fowl which has reached the age of 72 hours

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubbing_(poultry)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 05:33:51 pm by darkbrowneggs »
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 02:06:25 pm »
So, before 72 hours ????

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 05:35:06 pm »
Yes - but later legislation says

In 2010, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) reviewed scientific evidence and concluded "that no mutilation with an effect on welfare as severe as those resulting from cutting off toes or dubbing the comb should be carried out unless justified by evidence for a substantial and unavoidable level of poor welfare in the birds themselves and other birds.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS