Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Elderflower Cordial  (Read 8532 times)

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
Elderflower Cordial
« on: June 23, 2008, 10:16:17 am »
Make this every summer, its lovely, I freeze in plastic bottles. Its great with a splash of Gin and sparkling water. The citric acid is becoming more difficult to purchase, however if you have a regular pharmacy they should sell it to you.
20 Elderflower Heads
4lb sugar
2 pints boiling water
2 3/4 oz of citric acid
2 lemons grated/sliced

Dissolve sugar in water
Add citric acid
Pour over elderflowers
Add Lemons
Leave covered overnight
Strain in Jelly bag
Bottle

Enjoy

p.s. the flower heads are also lovely dipped in a light batter and dep fried, dust with icing sugar

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Elderflower Cordial
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 06:09:39 pm »
Dan makes this and we love it. Going to try Elderflower champagne after watching Hugh this week.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 04:56:30 pm »
Hiya all,
I made this yesterday and drank some today with some tonic water and it was ready good :)

And i have not even made it before, I used a different recipt from above think i might reduce the amount of sugar/citric acid  i used as it was quite sweet

Linz

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 07:45:36 pm »
I used to make it with tartaric acid, which is also impossible to get in the shops or chemists now. Still no problem on ebay. Maybe Lakeland is still stocking them, must check next time in Perth. :&>

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 07:48:36 pm »
i'll keep an eye out too for you.

I did get strange looks when i asked for it citric acid in the chemist.
A 5 month pregnant women asking for a substance that can be uses with illegal drugs

But once i explainned what I was gona uses it for the face relaxed a bit, lol. It help when you take the recipes sheet with you.

Linz

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 11:14:46 pm »
all chemists I asked said they can't even order it any more, never any problems in the previous years :&>

pickleandpreserve

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • pickleandpreserve
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 05:14:34 pm »
I managed to find some in our local independent kitchen store, they had it in the brewing section. They even offered me a bulk (500g) packet from under the counter.
You could try brewing shops for it as it is also used in wine making.

I did a google search and there seem to be a few online suppliers if you can wait for postage.

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 08:02:08 am »
I tried the chemist in Tescos in Stirling - They wouldnt sell me it!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 09:57:38 am »
try the health food /brewers/wine makers shop in stirling (just down from the filling station towards Albert Hall). I can't remember the name of the street.

My local small chemist was happy to sell me Citric Acid especially as i showed them the recipy for the Elderflower Cordial

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 08:38:37 am »
Hi
Try the chemist in Bridge of Allan, got mine there finally. No luck at Tesco, Boots, Sainsburys, good grief all I wanted to do was make cordial.....

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 12:30:17 pm »
I wondered if tartaric or citric acid can be replaced by Viatmin C /Ascorbic acid. as it happens I have some of this in the cupboard and use it to enhance yeast in bread sometimes. Has anyone tried it for elderflower cordial yet? I'd like to make some more soon as they are nearly finished...:&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS