Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkey as pet  (Read 1987 times)

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
Turkey as pet
« on: May 04, 2013, 10:17:41 am »
Hi

I wondered if anyone has kept a turkey as a pet and if so would they do it again, what were the positive and negative points.

Ta

K

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
Re: Turkey as pet
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 11:12:43 am »
we used to have one as a pet as was a loner when growing up was lovely to start with but found that the males can get aggressive over time especially with children and ours even hated the cat so he had to go in end, i dont know what the hens would be like though.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Pipsa

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 01:10:59 pm »
I have a turkey couple as pets - Norfolk Bronze ones. They are very spoilt, eat from my hand,
follow me around with the chickens. I find them very entertaining - they have never showed
any aggression at all. I can pick the lady turkey up - once taken her to the vet's in my lap.

sh3ph3rd

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Queensland, Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 11:58:26 am »
Some turkeys can make great pets. Very affectionate, tame, sociable, etc... Regardless of gender.

Pros: I guess any friendly animal's a pro in and of itself!

Cons: in my experience, any animal that bonds very closely with a human is almost always not 100% in either its mind or its body. Usually they are aware of it and so are the others, and generally the best pets are rejects from their own kind. Specific cons about a turkey as a pet... They can be immunologically delicate so you run an exacerbated risk of losing the pet; subsceptible to loneliness and quite emotional in general; they might 'weep' when you're not around; otherwise I can't think of a con. They can be wonderful, gentle pets.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 09:33:44 pm »
We have a Stag called Charlie, had him for 6 years now and I love him to bits. he does tend to get a bit amourous with your leg or the dogs at this time of year but cant imagine life without him  ::)
Would definatly have another one  :thumbsup:
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS