Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My first attempt at selling at the gate tomorrow...  (Read 11005 times)

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
Re: My first attempt at selling at the gate tomorrow...
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 02:28:09 pm »
Good luck with the selling!
We had money taken from our honesty box a few times last year :rant: But after putting a sign up explaining that our daughter owns ducks and sells the eggs for her pocket money, and asking how they sleep at night knowing that they were stealing from a 7 year old we had a £10 note put in the box.
A thief with a conscience ??? ???

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 02:59:02 pm »
Possibly PPD or maybe just someone with a heart who read the sign and wanted to restore your daughters faith in humankind  :)  Would like to think the thief had a rethink and paid up though...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

simone

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 08:45:33 pm »
Well its been a few days, 7 bunches of rhubarb and 8 bunches of daffs gone - so should have been £30 in the honesty box, but it's actually £23.10 - hhmm - well thats nearly enough for two POL hybrids @ £14 each.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 09:53:52 pm »
We had friends who kept hens and a cockerel on a bit of land behind their house.  Several people complained about the cockerel (it was in the middle of a housing estate) then one Sunday, the friend went to let the hens out.  Usually the cockerel was first out but he didn't come out.  All the hens did and still no cockerel.  He was missing despite the fact that the door was bolted on the outside.

Our friend was very upset and was outside sniffing the air to see whcih of the neighbours was having roast chicken for their Sunday dinner.   :roflanim:

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2013, 06:40:52 am »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2013, 10:53:15 am »
Then they'd probably nick the trail cam. ;D

They have camouflage, if they spotted it, maybe they'd take a closer look, but technology nowadays is pretty good - some trail cameras have internet connection. You can set them up to take a photo when triggered, and view via mobile phone. Or just watch via mobile phone no matter where you are. You can actually just sit and watch what goes on from the computer, take a snapshot, and catch them in the act. Either way, hard evidence as even if they nick the camera you've already got the photo of them on the property doing it.

Great gadget. Love mine.
 :thumbsup:

PS: Sorry to read you are down nearly £7 in just a few days simone. Dishonesy box more like, thieving beggar's.
PPS: Amusing idea to put a sign up in the henhouse tizaala (or small cctv sign on selling table?), that might make them think twice.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:09:47 am by OhLaLa »

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2013, 10:07:52 am »
Not bad for the first day. I guess some people just aren't honest.

I have a trail camera, which is currently out trying to catch someone tampering with the keepers traps!

Helen

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 01:26:40 pm »
If you want to prosecute (agree - unlikely for £7 - but just for future reference) - the CCTV footage can only be used in evidence if there are signs clearly indicating that they are in use.

Even without prosecuting, it makes good You Tube footage....this one got over 33,000 views!! and interest from national press and TV

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DpWpzIsvdmg
[/size]
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

simone

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 09:00:25 pm »
Well i've now made enough for two POL hens :-) I've ordered four though so fingers crossed business picks up - luckily i found another large patch of rhubarb.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2013, 02:52:10 am »
Just bought our place in October, We have just started selling eggs at the gate at £1.50 for 6, we have brown, blue, white, opal, large and small eggs so think they are worth it. we are on a main road in a tourist area with our own layby by the gate, we have a tiny holiday park with 8 log cabins, 2 days now made £4.50 plan is to grow the sales then add more products we have 6 1/2 acres all flat good soil, we have planted apple, pear, cherry, sloe, blueberry. We thought maybe beans as if they don't sell we could freeze them. Any other suggestions ? plus what do you do with excess eggs ?

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2013, 07:43:41 am »
Hi Simone,

I'm in Essex too!  I'm between Harlow and Epping.  On the Hens,  I've had ex battery hens, which have all been brilliant layers....Maybe you might consider them?  The ones I get at £2 each and its so nice to see them recovering and free ranging.  I'm having to get some more after not securing the henhouse properly and losing 4 to the fox... I only have 9 hens in total so its a big life.  I had them a year and they layed all winter and were much easier to handle than my normal hens because if you walk to them they are nervous and sit down... Anyway, just a thought.  I also got 5 ducks from a lady who posted on here after the old man she looked after died... .they are fabulous layers and such good fun.  I flog their eggs at work.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS