Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bore Hole Servicing  (Read 3297 times)

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Bore Hole Servicing
« on: September 08, 2014, 04:25:24 pm »
Having had a water bore hole drilled a year ago the company would now like to come and do their annual service on the equipment.  We don't have any filters of any kind so the only thing they would come to service is the pressure vessel.
Does anyone know what is involved in servicing a pressure vessel?
Is is something I can do myself? (I am fairly handy with these kind of things)
Is it really necessary?  After all it is just a small metal tank.

I still have to call them to see how much a service will cost but have visions of a significant cost just for someone to have a look at the pressure guage.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Bore Hole Servicing
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 05:53:01 pm »
Our borehole pressure vessel isn't serviceable.. at leats in the sense that the inner rubber cannot be swapped out and there isn't any way of inspecting the inner metal walls (compressor pressure vessels are supposed to have an annual inspection as are autoclave pressure vessels).

I know to my cost that we had to have the pressure vessel here swapped out after i ran the borehole dry by using a sprinkler the first year (expesnive lesson on managing exraction volumes). So apart from external inspection for leaks , valve check and pressure check/inflation there isn;t much that could be done with the one I have.

On the other hand they may/may not be planning on running a check on flow rates from your hole and water quality as well?

You'ld sorta think they could have included the first year's check under some sort of warranty...

SirDoolb

• Joined Sep 2013
  • rock of ages
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 06:26:29 pm »
Out of curiosity, how much did your bore hole cost (from start to finish) and how did you get the water quality checked. Am thinking of having a bore hole if it's financially viable.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 06:32:11 pm »
Thanks pgkevet.  I think I will call them and ask for an explanation of what is involved.  I suspect they just offer servicing to everyone without really stopping to check how much (or little) equipment I have.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 06:38:54 pm »
Out of curiosity, how much did your bore hole cost (from start to finish) and how did you get the water quality checked. Am thinking of having a bore hole if it's financially viable.

About £8k for the hole and another £3 or 4k for the pumps etc. if I remember right.  Cost will vary with how deep they have to go and no-one will guarantee that they will hit anything so there is a bit of risk (I think the guys that did mine had a rate of about 1% dry wells). 

We had a sample sent to Scottish water who analysed it.  They don't tell you anything about bacteria so you are always reccommended go get a UV filter to kill bugs (we didn't but are pretty confident about the source).

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 08:34:21 pm »
I rang the guys that put the borehole in here (for predecessor x-years ago) about a second one after my sprinkler incident - 3 years ago they sid £5 if memory serves.. I'm sure that'd be plus vat but whether it was plus pumps etc I don't recall. Don't quote me :)   but that was Powis Drilling

County Dangler

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 10:59:00 am »
Blimey. We paid £2900+vat for the hole, pump and control box and were quoted another £1200 for the pressure vessel when we need it. They also managed the best flow rate they had ever acheived. Under £3k (plus abit of maintainance in coming years) for unlimited free water for ever. Bargain in my eyes especially with a 24'x72' tunnel and considering the water board wanted £2500 just to connect us up to the mains.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 02:33:28 pm by County Angler »

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 12:01:43 pm »
Hmm. And i have installation quotes from 4 companies ranging £11,500 - £18,500  for a 56 metre borehole in North Wales.pump and pressure vessel  As current water supply(stream) dries up there in no choice but to go for a borehole.
V expensive solution tho.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS