Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Recession  (Read 1397 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Recession
« on: April 24, 2013, 03:11:18 pm »
I think more and more people are struggling financially.

When I first started to shop at Aldi and Lidl they were virtually empty, and even the people in them were clutching their upmarket supermarket carrier bags and hoping not to bump into anyone they knew.  Now, any embarrassment is gone, and both shops have been heaving with shoppers each time I have gone in!!

My husband calls into the bank with his work cheques, and the last few times he has noticed large queues of people all wanting loans and overdrafts to keep them going.

He said this lunchtime, there was 9 people in front of him, and each one was trying to juggle money from account to account to try and pay bills and direct debits.

Winter is awful for us with animal feed bills.  Hoping to have a few months respite now, or less paying out at least.  Human food is very high too, and we do not have anything posh - no ready meals or beef joints, or fancy cakes!!!

If I can sorted at the new house, I will grow most of our fruit and veg - that is pricey in the shops, which should help.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Recession
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 03:36:32 pm »
I think this long drawn out winter will be the end for a lot of farming folk, our grass is still not growing yet.
 Our landlord's sheep feed bill for last month alone was £44,000 , and he has had to buy in haylage for the first time ever  @ £35 a bale , he is using 60 a week just on this farm,  not many farmers can sustain that sort of outgoing, coupled with the stock death in the snowdrifts it's hard for everyone.
Grow what you can , when you can , it's going to be a thin year for all. :thinking:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Recession
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 03:54:26 pm »
We so desperately want to sell up our B&B, we have had 2 offers fall through so far....we can only just afford to live...downsized our chickens but they are Worth Evey penny and just hope our next house is cheap to run as the fuel bills cripple us.
I only want a simple life and that's what I get, but I want to change our car as the fuel consumption and running costs are too high, then we cannot cut any more, already missed out on having a pension, with that tiny bit extra I would be happy as my husband is working, at the moment I do not wear deodorant or perfume unless going out with humans :innocent: ..wear very little make up but have to put a bit on to cheer myself up, no hairdresser or dentist or any other treatments, no posh meals out just 10p deals when we can!!!!! Its never ever been so hard for us, yet we turn trade away as I now would rather work than stay in, put the heating up and wash all that bedding for a few extra £.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS