Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rearing Orphan lambs? have this in your cupboard  (Read 4161 times)

The Irish Shepherd

• Joined Apr 2013
Rearing Orphan lambs? have this in your cupboard
« on: April 23, 2013, 12:25:33 pm »
I woke on Saturday morning to find one of my best Texel lambs laying flat out and frothing from the mouth, it had obviously ate something in the garden that had poisoned it, I thought there was no hope of saving it. Its ears were flat and it was not bleating

I ended up buying some Human Food/Medicinal Grade Activated Charcoal and mixing in with some warm water and stomach tubing the lamb.

3 hours later it began to bleat but still could not stand, but 6 hours later it was walking around, if a bit wobbly.

That evening I gave it some milk with castor oil in it, and that helped it to poo, its now running round without a bother!!

Activated charcoal absorbs many toxins, including bacterial endotoxins, certain pesticides, etc. It is a useful feed additive during feed changeovers, periods of growth of lush grass, when lambs have gorged in feed bins, broken out into lush grazing, etc. Ideal to feed during short term digestive disorders.

I will never again go without it, I bought a 1kilo tub, which will last for ages and ages. I have now found a online shop which sells it.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Rearing Orphan lambs? have this in your cupboard
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 02:38:37 pm »
its very handy to have around if you have goats too! (and dogs who are drug addicts like mine who ate ibuprofen!)
could you give us the link to your online source please?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 02:54:57 pm »
That is really useful to know and to have some about for emergencies - thank you. An online source would be great if poss.
We used to use it in A&E for people who'd Overdosed on paracetamol, hadn't realised it could be used on animals too  :thumbsup:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 03:26:55 pm »
The vet gave it to one of our dogs when he was bloated and gassy, seemed to help :thumbsup:

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 06:48:10 pm »
Wow - yes that sounds like a brilliant miracle cure.    Ditto re on-line supplier  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

The Irish Shepherd

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 10:44:06 pm »
It is available on E Bay, copy and paste the following into your address bar

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111058715801?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

If you dont have a e bay account, its £28 plus £6 P+P for a 1Kg tub. I'm happy to supply anyone who does not have a account, its great stuff.

PM if you have any problems

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 10:56:46 am »
Thank you  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

sh3ph3rd

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Queensland, Australia
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 11:02:20 am »
Agree! And many thanks for the link!

I've used activated medicinal grade charcoal on Lucy before, after she ate some spider lily, but didn't know it can take care of bacterial endotoxins! I sometimes collect charcoal from fires I know haven't had anything treated or artificial burned in them and have used it to save many lives including those of poultry.

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 05:09:25 pm »
We buy it by the barrel and include it in our horses feeds.  Brilliant for our extra gassy mare.  Dogs have it occasionally too and my daughter takes it if she gets a gassy episode.  Think I should sneak a bucket load into OH's dinner!!  :innocent:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS